Nouse Challenge Week 2024

08/04/2024

The 2024 York Sport Union Challenge Week raises £40,468

Article Image

Image by yorksport1

By Charlotte Tabeart

In 2023 the York Sport Union launched its first ever ‘Challenge Week’ in which sport societies raised money to fund their activities.

As the importance of sport and the ambition of clubs grow at York their activities become more costly. Challenge Week means that sports societies are able to afford new equipment and coaching which is crucial for their teams’ development.

Yufund has supported this year’s challenge week in two ways. They matched the first £500 raised by each club, and donated money for challenges along the way, such as the first club to reach 200 donors was given an extra £200.

The 2023 Challenge Week was a great launch of the programme with over £30,000 being raised from 796 donors, in order to support ten teams.

The impact of this money led more societies to get involved this year with up to 15 teams taking part. From the 9-17 March, the 2024 Challenge Week raised £40,468 from 1449 donors.

The UOY Boat Club raised the largest sum, totalling at £5,633.32 from 210 donors. Throughout the week members of the Boat Club completed challenges to raise money, including a river cleanup and the Sports Union track run. But most notably the 24 hour erg in Greg’s place from 9am Saturday to 9am Sunday by members across all the squads.

The Boat Club plans to focus their funding on welcoming a new head coach who will adapt the club’s current training plans to elevate their performances at races across the country.

York Cricket (Women’s) also raised an amazing £4057 from 173 donors. The York Women’s Cricket team similarly plan to use the money they raised to fund coaching and new equipment to improve their performance. They also wish to fund opportunities such as outreach events which would open the sport to more women at York.

There was a great effort across all the teams to raise funds this Challenge Week. Thank you to all those who participated and donated.