What is Nouse?

27/09/2023

The frequently asked question, which Katy Leverett (she/her) will strive to answer

Article Image

Image by Nouse

By Katy Leverett

Firstly, welcome to the University of York and welcome to Nouse!

If you’ve stumbled across this article, it is likely because you’re interested in what campus media has to offer. From URY to York Vision, to YSTV to Lemon Press, the University is one of the best in the country for the variety of campus media outlets it has. Nouse is one of the newspaper media groups.

Nouse is an award-winning broadsheet newspaper and is the oldest society on campus, founded by Nigel Fountain in 1964. Nouse publishes multiple print editions a year, as well as frequently releasing content online from its wide variety of sections. These sections fall under Nouse and Muse, the ‘arts and culture’ side to the newspaper.

Muse has ten sections: Arts, Film and TV, Music, Features, Shoot, Fashion, Travel, Food and Drink, Gaming, and Creative Writing. Nouse has five, slightly larger sections: News, Comment, Politics, Sport, Science, and Business. You can find more about our sections on our website, or through their Instagram accounts.

All of these sections are overseen by small section editorial teams, which feed into the overseeing Senior Team. This year, our senior team is made up of Orla and Nadia, for Nouse, and Emily and Ellen for Muse. Behind the scenes is James, our Production Director; Chris, our Administration Director, and me (Katy!), as Chief Sub Editor.

Whilst Nouse is first and foremost a newspaper, it is also a thriving society. Over the past year, there has been a drive to host regular socials and writing events for both editors and writers. We also get opportunities to review restaurants, gigs, theatre performances and films for free!

I could go on for a while about how great Nouse is. Having been involved with the paper for three years now, it has been such an important and amazing part of my university experience that I have made some of my closest friends through!

But what you really need to know is how you can get involved. During Freshers’ Week, we will be hosting various welcome events where you can come and properly meet the society. We will be pitched at Freshers’ Fair, too! Our editorial team are super approachable and friendly, and are always open to pitches for article ideas to go online and in print editions. Have a chat with the relevant section editor, or drop them a message. There are also regular content calls for articles posted to Nouse’s Facebook Writers’ Group, which you are able to join once you have purchased a membership on YUSU’s website, for £7, to write for the whole year!

But writing is not the only way to get involved. Nouse wouldn’t be able to function without its ‘Behind the Scenes’ people, from our talented Tech Team to Social Media Officers to our Illustration Editors (who get to design fun cartoons for our print editions!). People in these positions will also be at the welcome events, so do have a chat with them if you’re interested, or email editor@nouse.co.uk for more information.

Lastly, as previously mentioned, our editorial team runs our incredible sections. They collate articles for online and each print edition. They get to lay up their section for print editions in our office and turn Google Docs into a stunning spread! Becoming an editor (and this applies to all roles in Nouse!) requires no previous experience, just an enthusiasm to be involved. We will be holding our annual AGM in October, so keep an eye out on our social media, @yorknouse, for more information.

So, in a nutshell, that’s Nouse. But if you take nothing else away from this article, student media is such a wonderful thing to get involved with at University. It gives you so many opportunities and, more importantly, memories. Whilst I will sing Nouse’s praises forever, there are so many campus media groups. Explore them all, you never know what you might find!

For more information on Nouse, check out our website: nouse.co.uk, visit our Instagram @yorknouse and @yorkmuse, or email editor@nouse.co.uk.

7384