York’s Rams win against Lancaster

30/04/2023

York pick up four points on 22 acres

Article Image

Image by Josh Chapman

By Josh Chapman

The atmosphere around pitch 12 on the 22 acres was palpable well before the first whistle blew. After good performances from the 2’s and 3’s yesterday, this was the opportunity for the York Rams to whitewash Lancaster. You could tell all was on the line from the way both sides approached the game with a high level of energy from kick off.

After a period of decent Lancastrian attack in the opening ten minutes, York dominated the first half. There was some stunning, fluid play from Miles and Purvis for York; Miles collected a beautiful pass from Billy Charles which meant that Miles touched down and scored the first try of the game. Campbell performed a beautiful conversion kick right next to the touch line, making it 7-0 to York.

The try was quickly followed by a penalty under the goalposts, which made it 10-0, and York’s defence meant that Lancaster barely made it into York's half in the first 40 minutes.

Unfortunately, a lucky penalty for Lancaster meant they still made it onto the scorecard before half time, making it 10-3 at the break.

The first half saw pressure mounting, as it started with a Lancastrian resurgence. This resulted in a try, which made it 10-8 to York.

However, York soon retaliated with some stunning play from Miles. A converted try from York made it 17-8, so it was a strong comeback.  After some quick passing and territory for York they scored another try, with Miles completing his hat trick to make it 22-8.

Unfortunately though, a yellow card for York gave Lancaster the upper hand, offering them the opportunity to make it 22-13.

Another quick fire try made it 22-18, despite good intentions from York’s defence. Once restored to a full 15 players, York's defence kept them on top and meant no further scores were made. It was a score line that favoured Lancaster as York dominated in defence and used some strong runs from Miles to score, making the final score 22-18.

Despite the loss, Lancasters vice-chair suggested that a better strategy would have made all  the difference, saying that Lancaster played using their ‘hearts over their heads’. York’s hooker Burch summed up the match, saying that York put their bodies on the line and the scoreline reflected it. A well deserved win as accompanying whitewash meant York’s rugby teams completed a whitewash over Lancaster.