York City's Woeful Season on and off the Pitch

07/03/2023

Jack Bleksley gives an overview of York City FC's season so far, as they sit precariously above the relegation zone

Article Image

Image by DSimmonite

By Jack Bleksley

York City FC currently sit 18th in the Vanarama National League, just four points off the relegation zone. With no permanent manager and 51 percent of the club’s shares up for sale, York City FC are in a precarious position.

York started the season well with John Askey at the helm after their miraculous promotion in the 2021/22 season. After their first nine games they were just a point off the playoff spots and going strong.

This form did not last though. On 16 November 2022, John Askey was sacked after six league matches without a win. Askey later revealed that he was notified of his sacking when he was asked to pick up his P45 out of the printer. A much loved figure at the LNER, Askey’s sacking did not go down well with the York City faithful. Many saw it as premature, considering all that Askey had done for the club the season prior.

The York City fans aimed their anger towards chairman and majority shareholder, Glen Henderson. At the first game after his sacking, there were chants of “We want Hendo out” from York fans.

Henderson appointed David Webb as Askey’s replacement. Things did not get better under the inexperienced Webb, who himself was sacked in February 2023 after four defeats on the bounce. Webb’s two month reign is the shortest of any permanent York City manager.

It all got very ugly at York vs Maidenhead on 28 January 2023 when fans verbally clashed with Henderson. Sat in his executive box at the LNER, Henderson had had enough of the “We want Hendo out” chants and engaged in a verbal altercation with a number of City fans, with security eventually getting involved to calm the situation.

York now have Michael Morton as their interim manager and have suffered back-to-back defeats.

To further complicate things, Glen Henderson has put his 51 percent stake in the club up for sale. At the moment, only the Supporters’ Trust can buy the shares and discussions are ongoing. If an agreement cannot be reached by 4 April, then the shares can be offered to the open market.

Tonight, York head to the capital to play ninth placed Bromley. It’s not all doom and gloom at the LNER however. On Saturday 11 March, York will play Altrincham at home in the quarter final of the FA Trophy. A chance of silverware is still on the table, although most York fans would much rather see their club fend off relegation.