In conversation with Everything After Midnight

23/10/2021

Jack Barton catches up with EAM over coffee for a chat about their creative process and Ratatouille.

Article Image

Image by Jack Barton

By Jack Barton

If you could describe the band's sound in five words?
Yes
Thick
Energetic
Dodie
Grunge
Andrew: That's definitely what came across last night.

How has working under WAHAM records been?

Aidan: Sick. We had a part in the music scene beforehand so it didn’t really change anything, we made WAHAM because we all like music collectively rather than as a platform to make us better. All the artists signed are handpicked and are all into band culture, into label culture.

Jacob: WAHAM is all the things that we have trialled on ourselves and worked and do for other artists. We have four bands at the Uni now, and WAHAM has meant we will be playing with more new people.

Andrew: We just want to give people the opportunity we have had since our grant support from L.I.A.M

Do you think such an intimate music community could be built in a larger university or city?

Aidan: Because the music scene is massively overlooked, it’s very diverse. From what I have heard, in Leeds there isn't as much of a collective feel as there is here.

Jacob: I think the size of York is a positive thing. Would you say you have played a massive role in this community?

Aidan: Maybe less so on the grand scale of York, but definitely when talking to people alongside The Record Press and WAHAM. We try to be inclusive and get people involved.

Steph: I never realised how we are actually part of the community, and how many people we know until we went to Trueman’s gig; I walked in and was like ‘shit I know a lot of people here’, and it was a lovely feeling to know we are part of this community. Because of Covid we haven’t been able to all be in one space, so it was really special.

5497Pictured: Aidan

What has it been like working as a band, a magazine, and a record label all in one essentially?

Aidan: We haven't remained mentally sane; it’s been challenging keeping on top of things and obviously University has lots of stuff we have to factor in. When you’re doing something, it doesn’t really matter whether you’re not eating or sleeping properly, because you just love doing it. Is there a particular band you are inspired by?

Jacob: I don't think there are any particular bands we want to sound like, there are people that we like and some that we end up sounding like by chance. Because we have a female vocalist, there are a limited number of comparisons that get made; Wolf Alice is said a lot.

Aidan: It's very easy to have a female frontwoman and be labelled as Wolf Alice, there are plenty of other bands that we draw inspiration from.

Steph: I do see all of our inspirations come together, which is lovely because if all liked the same thing, we would just be one sound.

It’s like that bit in Ratatouille with the grapes and the cheese. Try them together and you make a new sound!

Aidan: That is a beautiful analogy.

Steph: The grape is Aidan liking Pixies, the cheese is me liking Dodie.

You recently released your new single ‘On Beauty’, what was the creative process behind it?

Aidan: I wanted background music for my podcast, Cheesy Beans on Toast. I felt like we could do something from the riff I created, and we then spent the next year over lockdown perfecting it. I wanted it to be face melting, in terms of the riff and the bass. I was immensely happy with how it came out.

Steph: When I first heard the music, there was something dark and jarring about it. I wanted the lyrics to be quite dark, so I found ‘Be a Lady They Said’ by Camille Rainville: “Be a lady they said. Don’t be too fat. Don’t be too thin. Eat up. Slim down.”. It speaks to the impossible beauty ideals for women, how they are specific and change all the time. The title takes from Zadies Smith’s novel discussing beauty in light of race, how whiteness is equal to beauty. You have also re-released ‘Again’, what made you look back on your first single?

Jacob: It sounds bigger, how we would play it live.

Steph: We have changed a lot since then, so we sound very different both in recording and live compared to when we first started.

Jacob: On Spotify, you want people to hear your music as good as it is live. So we tried to bring it up to date.

Aidan: There is nothing worse than going to a gig after listening to them on Spotify and being like ‘that’s not how you sound’. How has lockdown impacted you?

Aidan: A lot of the ideas we had were in lockdown, it was almost a time to reflect.

Ben: It was a great feeling to perform those songs live finally.

What's next for Everything after Midnight? Quarter past midnight? And do you have any plans over the next year?

Aidan:

More music, more gigs, more fun and then we’ll steal your souls.

Jacob: The band calendar is about two weeks; we can’t really look beyond a month because you’re like ‘I’ve got this whole week free’ and then on the week you don’t have room to breathe.

Steph: We would love to do a headline gig at the Fulford arms or the Crescent or support a big band in a year though.