Roses 2019: Saturday Update

04/05/2019

York have a narrow lead over Lancaster after five hours of intense Saturday competition

Article Image

Image by Patrick Hook-Willers

By Patrick Hook-Willers and George Cook

With Roses 2019 now fully underway, York have a 50.5 - 36.5 lead over Lancaster, as of 1pm Saturday (4<sup>th</sup> May 2019).

Following last nights incredible victory in the Netball, confidence has been sky high around campus, as York look to regain the Carter-James Trophy from Lancaster.

The action began bright and early at eight o’clock with the Mixed Sailing Events.

Fencing one of the sports which York and Lancaster excel in the most, got going at nine o’clock in the Main Hall. Lancaster narrowly won
the Men’s 2s clash 121-118. The Men’s 1s event is currently ongoing.

In the opening Lacrosse match of the weekend, York’s Women’s team comfortably beat Lancaster 19-6, barely getting out of first gear as they
stormed to victory. The story was much the same in the Table Tennis, where both York’s Mixed 1s and Mixed 2s dispatched Lancaster. The 1s team recorded a 9-2 result, with the 2s winning 10-2. The Mixed Badminton event was also won by York, destroying Lancaster 8-1.

The Men’s 2s Football game ended in a 0-0 draw in front of a packed 22 Acres. York had the better of the chances, but just couldn’t quite
finish them off. An even bigger crowd is expected at the Athletics Track this evening (5pm) for the 1s game.

As of 1pm, York’s Men’s 3s have a 12-0 lead in the early moments of the Rugby, whilst Lancaster are 140-6 in the Cricket, having opted to bat
first. The events are coming thick and fast throughout the day, with 38 fixtures still to be played today.

For updates throughout the day, follow @NouseSport or head to our live blog at https://nouse.co.uk/2019/05/02/roses-2019-live