Scarily sweet Halloween

21/10/2014

The perfect recipes for Halloween

Article Image

Image by

By Emily Boul

Graveyard Cupcakes (makes 12) This cupcake recipe provides the perfect Halloween treat, whether it is for a party or to give to trick or treaters. The recipe is quick and simple but has great results!
unnamed
PhotoCredit: Emily Myers
Ingredients Cakes 125g caster sugar 125g margarine 2 large eggs 125g of self raising flour 1 tsp vanilla extract Decoration 3 tbsp softened butter Approx 9 tbsp icing sugar 3 drops of both green food colouring 3 drops black food colouring Approx 70g marzipan     1. Preheat the oven to 180degc. 2. Cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and gradually beat in the eggs. 3. Fold in the flour, then spoon the mixture into cupcake cases. 4. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden. 6. Whisk softened butter with icing sugar until thick. Add the green food colouring until a strong green is created. 7. To make the gravestones, mix the black food colouring with the marzipan until it's a marbled grey colour. 8. Shape the marzipan into rectangles and create a pointed end at the top. Use a cocktail stick to write RIP on the top. 9. When cool, cover in buttercream and place a gravestone on top. Pumpkin soup with ginger and spices If you're planning on carving a pumpkin this Halloween, make sure to save the flesh. This recipe provides a perfect warming meal for the autumn evenings.  
PhotoCredit:Ian Norman
PhotoCredit:Ian Norman
Ingredients 1 medium pumpkin pinch of ginger pinch of garam masala 1 tsp ground nutmeg 1 tsp olive oil 1 onion, diced 1.2 litre of vegetable stock   1. Preheat the oven to 180degc. 2. Chop the pumpkin in half. Remove the flesh and fibres, and deseed. 3. Chop the scooped out flesh into cubes. 4. Heat the oil in a pan, then gently fry the onion unil soft and golden brown. 5. Add the pumpkin cubes to the pan along with a pinch of ginger, garam masala and ground nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. 6. Leave to cook for 45 minutes on a high heat until the pumpkin is soft. 7. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Cook for a further 20 minutes. 8. Leave to cool, then use a blender to blend until smooth. 9. Reheat before serving. Serve with a dollop of creme fraiche or cream.