York Sport Column Top Sport Story Rowing Sport News & Features Water Sports Sport

UoY Boat Club Novice Men win bronze in A Final while Senior Women finish fourth in A Final at BUCS Regatta 2022

Alanah Hammond reports as UYBC excel at Europe's biggest student regatta, with all four squads hitting a B Final

Image Credit: Quinn O’loane

After a prosperous day of racing on Saturday, UYBC’s success certainly spilled overboard across the bank holiday as every squad reached a B Final, securing some very impressive results for the club.

The weather was not as sunny as Saturday, but this did not dampen the performance of UYBC’s squads at BUCS Regatta 2022, held at the National Water Sports Centre in Nottingham.

In their first BUCS Regatta, the Novice Men’s VIII+ –coxed by Emer Bealin-Kelly– triumphed, gaining a bronze medal in the A Final. The beginner men raced throughout the day, performing well consistently: they came first in their time-trial, second in the AB semi-final and then third in the A Final. This makes them the third fastest Novice Men’s VIII+ squad in the country. Jake Morris was stroke and set the race rate for the Novice Men, completing their 2K in an impressive 06:54.21 minutes, beating the universities of Nottingham, Durham, and Imperial College London.

Nouse spoke to the Novice Men’s Captain, Sophia Saragoudas, on their fantastic achievement. Saragoudas said, “I'm so happy with their performance; they worked so well together to build on their technique and timing”. The Captain also praised the Novice Men’s cox, Bealin-Kelly, who “remained composed and gave perfect calls, well timed, leading them to victory”.

The Novice Women’s IV+ were also successful at their first BUCS Regatta. The women– coxed by Meg Taylor– won their B Final, completing their 2K in 08:47.98 minutes, beating the universities of Glasgow, East Anglia, Southampton and Durham. This makes them the 7th fastest Novice Women IV+ squad in the country.

The Captain of the Novice Women’s squad, Naoise Coakley, spoke to Nouse after the women’s performance. Coakley was very proud of the four, explaining “for a crew that have only been in a four for about three weeks, they have shown pure talent and as a club we are so excited to see how far they go into the regatta season!”.

The Senior squads also performed highly at BUCS. The Senior Women’s first VIII+ came third in the B Final, making them the ninth fastest VIII+ crew in the country. Zara Berry coxed the women, who completed the race in 07:22.59 minutes, beating the universities of Bristol, Cambridge and University College London. The Senior Women’s second VIII+ won their E Final, coxed by Emilia Obszanska, and beat the universities of Manchester, Nottingham Trent, Imperial College London (B), Leeds (B), and Oxford (B).

UYBC’s Senior Women Lily Wolfson and Bennath Halse made it to the A Final on Monday 2 May in the Women’s Intermediate 2x, coming fourth overall. They performed well throughout the day, coming second in their time trial and winning their AB Semi Final. Impressively, they are now the fourth fastest Women’s Intermediate 2x in the country. The Senior Women’s IV+ also won the D Final, coxed by Zara Berry, beating the universities of Leeds, Oxford (B), Cambridge (B) and St Andrews (B).

The Senior Men’s IV+ achieved highly, coxed by Florence Chadwick. They came fourth in the B Final, completing their 2K in 07:05.56 minutes, beating the University of Nottingham and Imperial College London. This makes them the tenth fastest Senior Men’s IV+ in the country.

James Remer, the Senior Men’s captain, spoke to Nouse on the men’s achievement. He said, “The lads at BUCS surpassed all expectations with everyone making a final and scoring some of the best results the Senior Men have ever had”.

Overall, as of Sunday 1 May, UYBC was 22nd in the country after their performance at BUCS, beating the universities of Manchester, Plymouth, Cardiff, Loughborough and Bournemouth. In particular, for Men’s events, UYBC came 19th overall, beating the universities of St Andrews, Manchester, Cardiff and Loughborough. Such results are what UYBC’s previous Head Coach, Rob Cree, described as the “best [he] can remember''.

The results are certainly more impressive by the fact that UYBC reached the A and B Finals without a paid head coach, a position which many other university boat clubs can afford. The club is therefore hugely appreciative of the coaches Andy Robertson, Sean potter and Hilary Howe who all volunteer to coach the squads.

Speaking to Nouse, the Novice Women’s Captain Coakley explained what’s next for the squads, after BUCS and Roses. She said, “the squads are taking the month of May off for exams and revision”. They will then be back on June 4 for The Metropolitan (Met) Regatta and Peterborough Regatta, which are on the same day. Coakley told Nouse how the Met Regatta is “more serious, with more elite boats”. However, the squads are still hopeful, especially for Peterborough in which “there is a good chance of picking up some pots and seeing some wins”.

After such a strong and promising performance this weekend, we can’t wait to see how UYBC will perform across the summer season in races such as The Metropolitan Regatta, Peterborough Regatta and Henley Regatta.

A summary of the wins of UYBC at BUCS Regatta 2022:
·  Novice Women VIII+ were fifth in the B Final, 11th fastest Novice Women’s VIII+ in the country
·  Novice Women IV+ were first in the B Final, seventh fastest Novice Women’s IV+ in the country
·  Novice Men VIII+ were third in the A Final, third fastest Novice Men’s VIII+ in the country
·  Novice Men IV+ (A) were second in the B Final, seventh fastest Novice Men’s IV+ in the country
·  Novice Men IV+ (B) were fourth in the D Final
·  Senior Women VIII+ (A) were third in the B Final, ninth fastest Senior Women’s VIII+ in the country
·  Senior Women VIII+ (B) won the E Final
·  Senior Women Intermediate 2x were fourth in the A final, fourth fastest Women’s Intermediate 2x in the country
·  Senior Women IV+ were first in the D Final
·  Senior Men VIII+ were second in the E Final
·  Senior Men IV+ were fourth in the B Final, tenth fastest Senior Men’s IV+ in the country
·  Senior Men Intermediate single was fifth in the B Final, tenth fastest Men’s Intermediate single in the country
·  Senior Men Intermediate Lightweight single (A) was sixth in the C Final
·  Senior Men Intermediate Lightweight single (B) was second in the E Final

Latest in York Sport Column