Student News Campus News News

New Societies Night for students in Spring Term

YUSU launch a brand new societies night at Flares on Thursdays

Image Credit: Elliott Brown

University of York societies can look forward to a brand new club night out in the city.

In weeks 4, 6, 8 and 10, societies will now have a club night in Flares, a popular student club in York.

The night will occur every other Thursday, making it distinct from sports socials, and will be taking place in addition to York Parties’ regular night at Ziggy’s.

The new plans are in response to society students asking for their own regular club night. On Wednesday’s, as everyone knows, the sports societies are in Salvos. As a result other societies and students have been missing out from their own dedicated club night.

The launch night in Week 4 was themed as ‘Dress as your society’ and pre’s were held at the Vanbrugh Arms from 8pm. It is likely that these nights will continue to start in this venue - another opportunity to use the often overlooked YUSU bar.

One Society who is taking up the offer is the Cocktail Society. The presidents Carla Dixon and Abi Holyland have stated “We usually hold our socials on a Thursday so it’s great to see that societies have a venue to use. We will definitely be taking advantage of Thursday societies night in the future and hope it continues next term and beyond”.

Sophie Kelly, YUSU Activities Officer, said: “I’m absolutely thrilled that we’ve been able to launch our brand new societies night at Flares! Sports have their own night on a Wednesday, but societies have missed out for too long. “I’m just delighted that it’s finally happening, and where better than Flares to host the night! It’s been received really positively by societies, with lots heading down for the first night. Can’t wait to see everyone there on Thursday of week 6- 17th Feb!”

This summer, Sophie Kelly will be stepping down in her role as the Activities Officer for YUSU, as the new Sabbatical Officer gets voted in later this month. The new society night is a great way to end her term, in a role which looked after 240 student groups. Alongside signing the York Parties contract which secured Ziggy’s as the new Thursday night venue, Kelly has also introduced new club nights on campus, including ‘Jukebox’ in Courtyard, where students can vote for the genre of music on the aux, as reported previously in Nouse.

For the next edition of the new societies club night, you can attend a Valentine’s Day themed night at Flares. On Thursday 17 February, tickets will be £2 to join Langwith, James and Vanburgh Colleges at 10pm. The event has a dress code of pink and red items of clothing.

Latest in Student News