Student News News

In Memory of Harvey Parker

Image Credit: Buzz Info

Staff and students at the University of York pay tribute to 20 year old music student Harvey Parker after the announcement of their death on 6 January 2022. The news came after their disappearance on 17 December 2021 near Charing Cross Station, London.

Students at the University have been deeply saddened by the news and have paid their respects to the talented young musician.

One student commented: “This was so sad to hear having followed the news during the holiday period. Condolences to their family and friends”

Friends of Harvey who attend the University have set up a JustGiving crowd fundraiser to raise money for more people like Harvey, who are neuro and gender-diverse.

At the time of writing, the crowd funder has raised over £75,000. All the money raised will help young, queer, and talented musicians from under-represented communities to receive emotional and mental health support.

A statement released by the Music Department said: “Staff and students in the Department of Music are deeply shocked and saddened by the death of our student, Harvey Parker.

“Harvey was a dedicated second-year BA Music student who will be remembered in particular for their wonderful flute playing, singing and all-round musicianship. They were an active member of instrumental and vocal ensembles, and was very popular with their peers.

“Our deepest sympathy at this very sad time goes out to their family and friends and the students and staff they got to know at the University.”

Harvey's flute teacher, Edwina Smith, has commented: “Harvey was a highly skilled flautist, with a mature capacity to think deeply about interpretation that took their playing far beyond technical accomplishment, creating performances that were always expressive, polished and truly personal”.

Harvey will be remembered as a very talented musician among staff and peers, having performed in Westminster, and also having the ability to play three instruments proficiently: flute, oboe, and the organ.

YUSU has also issued a statement offering their condolences: “We are shocked and saddened to hear of the death of our Music student, Harvey Parker. Our thoughts remain with Harvey's family at this really difficult time, and the Department is liaising with the University's student support team and the family to understand what we can do to help.”

If you would like to donate to the crowd funder, you can do so at https://www.justgiving.com/crow.../harveyparkerfundraiser...

Students who may be affected by this news can also find information about the range of professional support available at the University and more widely at https://www.york.ac.uk/students/health/help/

Latest in Student News