Football Top Sport Story Sport News & Features Sport Comment Sport

York City fans give Bootham Crescent final farewell

York City FC fans have given Bootham Crescent a final farewell

Image Credit: Reuben Hodson

York City FC fans have said their goodbyes to Bootham Crescent for the final time. The Minstermen moved out of the ground in January this year, having called Bootham Crescent their home since 1932. They now play at the LNER Community Stadium, a newly built 8,000-seater ground in a new out-of-town leisure park.

The club put on goodbye events on both Sunday 28 November and today, Wednesday 1 December. It allowed York City’s supporters a final chance to enter the already derelict stadium to pick up club merchandise — including seats from the stands. More than that, it was an opportunity to reminisce about the most memorable results the Minstermen had picked up at their rickety old ground.

After Wednesday 1 December, the stadium will no longer be open to the public and will be taken into the hands of the developers, to demolish it in favour of new housing in the Bootham area.

Nouse Sport visited the stadium on Sunday 28 November. Despite the grass already being overgrown and the seating almost completely removed, the stadium shone quite spectacularly below a prominent mid-afternoon sunset. It was a peaceful time, as fans remembered wins over Arsenal and draws with Liverpool at this very venue.

York City currently play in the National League North — the sixth tier of English football. They are in 12th place in a table of 22 teams, signalling a disappointing start to the season for a side who ought to be challenging for promotion to the National League.

While the Community Stadium is yet to truly feel like home in terms of atmosphere and results, Bootham Crescent was certainly home for many years in the eyes of City fans. It may soon be gone, but it will never, ever be forgotten.

Latest in Football