City News News

York remembers the world wars

The city of York and the University of York marked the anniversary of the 1918 Armistice

Image Credit: Reuben Hodson

Remembrance Sunday is the day traditionally set aside for the remembrance of soldiers who perished in World War One. On Sunday 14 November, the University of York invited students to observe a two minute silence at 11O’clock in remembrance of those who have given their lives for the peace enjoyed today.

Remembrance Day services this year were held on Thursday 11 November and Sunday 14 November.

At the York Minster, the Dean of York gave his annual service of Thanksgiving and Commemoration for Remembrance Sunday. At 11am in unison with the commemorations across the city, a two-minute silence was given. The service included music by the Choir of York Minster, hymns, readings, and prayers as part of a contemplative service of Holy Communion.

At the Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul in Selby, there was also a remembrance of the animals who served in the war followed by their purple poppy horse ride. They then held the second act of Remembrance for the fallen men.

At the University of York, the Brass Band Society gave a public performance for the Easingwold Remembrance Sunday March. They went to represent the University by showing their respect for the fallen.

In the city of York, the Remembrance Parade went ahead after its cancellation last year. The Vice Chancellor Charlie Jeffery and YUSU President Patrick O’Donnell joined to lay a wreath on the York City War Memorial on behalf of the University. Wreaths were also laid by the Lord Mayor and the Civic Party.

Rt Hon Lord Mayor of York, Cllr Christopher Cullwick, said “Remembrance day is an important day for so many. It offers us an opportunity to thank those who have sacrificed for us all, and share our hope for a peaceful future.”

The York Branch of the Royal British Legion together with other ex-service organisations attended the annual Service of Remembrance in the Memorial Gardens.

A march took place involving the military and ex-service personnel making up approximately 150 people. They marched through the city supported by 15 Legion and other Regimental standards.

There was also the British Railways Ex-Servicemen’s Association Parade which took place on Armistice Day (November 11) at the North-Eastern Railway Memorial cenotaph in Station Rise starting at 11am. Sadly, this was the association’s last parade due to the gradual decline in its membership numbers.

Meanwhile, there was a projection of a giant poppy on the Drax Power Station to mark Remembrance Sunday. Drax projected the poppy onto one of the 114m-tall towers which was visible from a few miles away. The projection was visible between 6pm to 10pm on both Thursday and Sunday. Drax has also donated £2000 to the Poppy Appeal alongside laying wreaths at nearby war memorials.

First Bus also offered free bus travel for Armed Forces personnel.

Latest in City News