Other Sports Top Sport Story Sport News & Features Campus Sport

Yorkshire Marathon makes triumphant return

Deputy Sport Editor Jack Bleksley looks back on the first edition of The Yorkshire Marathon since the pandemic

Image Credit: Reuben Hodson

The Yorkshire Marathon returned to the streets of York on Sunday 17 October. It had been almost two years to the day since the last Yorkshire Marathon, after the 2020 marathon was cancelled due to the Covid-19 outbreak.

Founded and organised by “Run for All,” this year’s event saw all 10,000 entrant places sold out with participants from around the UK and the rest of the world taking part.

This winner of the men’s marathon was Tom Charles, with a time of two hours, 24 minutes and 22 seconds. Becky Penty of running club York Knavesmire Harriers was the fastest woman to complete the race, with a time of two hours, 47 minutes and 46 seconds.

The marathon, which started and finished next to the library on Campus West, wasn’t the only event being hosted. There were also wheelchair races, a ten-mile run as well as a relay marathon.

One thing that has become clear about this event is its ability to bring the York community together. One of the marathon runners, Joel Moffat, said “The community feeling was palpable, with many great supporters coming out to cheer on the runners and provide a necessary handful of Jelly Babies.”

Staying true to the organisers’ name, this truly was a “Run for All.” Derwent College student Oskar Fossberg was one of the thousands who took on the full marathon. He noted how many older runners took part, stating that he was “so impressed by the age of people of did it.”

Nouse’s Deputy Editor, Lucy Cooper, completed the ten-mile race. It was Lucy’s first-ever organised run. She commented on how the crowd helped her at the end: “I got a bit of adrenaline from everyone being at the finish line. I actually managed to push through, whereas I think if I was running ten miles by myself by that point I probably would have stopped.”

Charity is also a core feature of this remarkable event. This year saw ‘Rhino Boy Chris’ run in a rhino costume for the charity ‘Save the Rhinos.’ University of York Lacrosse Club president Jacob Lynch raised money for mental health charity, the Charlie Watkins Foundation.

After this year’s great success, the next Yorkshire Marathon has already been scheduled for Sunday 16 October 2022.

Online entries are already open.

Latest in Other Sports