City News News

York City Council increases winter accommodation for rough sleepers

Extra beds will be offered to homeless people from November

Image Credit: George Hodan

Accommodation for rough sleepers and single homeless people will be increased this winter, York City Council has announced.

From 1 November, York City Council and homelessness prevention organisations will make extra beds available. The number of beds will depend on demand from rough sleepers this winter.

Rough sleepers with the greatest needs will be given priority. Trained staff can support these individuals into a “stable, safer life”, York City Council said in a press release.

“The council’s work to give early help and prevention support for people at risk of losing their home, has increased this year,” York City Council added.

“The Housing Options team have seen requests rising from 80 per week pre-pandemic to around 200 per week in September 2021, with a greater call on mediation, landlord liaison and support to find private accommodation.”

Councillor Denise Craghill, Executive Member for York City Council’s Housing and Safer Neighbourhoods committee, said: “This reliable supply of additional emergency accommodation will help us meet demand and ensure health and wellbeing requirements are in place.”

“We take a phased and responsive approach to making these extra winter beds available to ensure that no-one is returned to the streets or made homeless just because the winter is over.”

“The service continues to work on expanding long term provision to support the shared goal of ending rough sleeping.”

Latest in City News