City News News

Funding given for York events

Popular events including the Aesthetica Film Festival and Jorvik Viking Festival will all be allocated funding.

Image Credit: Flickr Allan Harris

The City of York Council has announced where some of the funding from the Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG) will be allocated over the next year. It will help to fund popular events in York’s cultural calendar that might otherwise have faced an uncertain future due to Covid-19.

Firstly, the 11th edition of the Aesthetica Film Festival is set to return to York this year. The festival will run with an in-person and online hybrid format in November, thus allowing for a wider audience to get involved. Aesthetica is the UK’s leading festival for new talent and on average it has an annual economic impact of £2 million pounds.

Cherie Federico, Director of Aesthetica Magazine, said: “City of York Council’s support for the festival, as we embrace a hybrid approach to film festival delivery will offer the much-needed support to pursue live streaming and leave a legacy for forthcoming years. Its impact will continue as we plan for the future of independent film in York.”

The UK’s biggest outdoor Ice Trail will also be returning to York on 5 and 6 February next year, with support from the ARG Festivals and Events Fund. Organised by Make It York, the free trail will be constructed in partnership with businesses across the city that will sponsor and select the stunning sculptures. The event was a hit in 2020 with over 31,000 people taking part in the February trail that was themed ‘Fantastical Fiction and Fairy Tales.’

The trail is designed to get people moving around the city, seeing lesser-visited parts of York and supporting local businesses. Last year, 72 percent of participants said they explored streets they normally wouldn’t, and 95 percent of people said they also partook in other activities in the city during the trail, including shopping, eating, drinking and visiting other attractions.

Design Week will also be returning to York, with a new programme of exhibitions, workshops, creative careers advice, presentations, and live entertainment. The focus of the event is coming up with innovative solutions to social problems through conversation. This year, Design Week sets out to ask: “what if we weren’t in such a pickle? What would that look, feel and be like, and how would we design a way there?”

Other events that have also been allocated funding through the Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG) in York include the Jorvik Viking Festival, which returns in February 2022, and York Food and Drink Festival. The events and festivals in receipt of the funding will boost York’s cultural appeal, and provide residents and visitors with new experiences to enjoy. Simultaneously, they will bring in customers for York’s local and independent businesses, creating a much-needed boost for the local post-pandemic economy.

Latest in City News