Campus News News

YUSU announces plans for campus venues in Summer Term

The Forest will return in Term 3, alongside a new outdoor bar, The Lakeside Tap, in Gregg’s place. Courtyard, DBar, The Lounge and the Vanbrugh Arms will remain closed for the duration of Summer Term.

Image Credit: Patrick Hook-Willers

Today, April 13, YUSU announced the status of each of its campus run bars for the duration of the summer term on Campus. In a press release given to student media, the union has outlined its plans for The Forest, Courtyard, The Glasshouse, Alcuin Kitchen, Dbar, The Vanbrugh arms and The Lounge, while also announcing the opening of a new outdoor space on Greg’s place called, The Lakeside Tap.

Due to the loosening of Covid restrictions which occurred on 12 April, outdoor spaces and gatherings are now legal, as such the widely popular venue The Forest, located on Campus West behind Vanbrugh, will be returning with pre-booking available. As of now, it is the only YUSU bar that will be offering pre-bookings and those will commence on Sunday 18 April for week 1, with each consecutive Sunday making bookings available for subsequent weeks.

Likewise, both the Glasshouse and The Kitchen at Alcuin will be opening, with The Glasshouse offering new outdoor seating arrangements on Campus East, and The Kitchen being available for Takeaways.

Unfortunately, other venues will not be re-opening. The Courtyard is closing for renovations to its outdoor seating area in preparation for the new academic year, while Dbar, The Vanbrugh arms, and The Lounge must remain closed due to the lack of outdoor seating space.

However, despite many of the bars on Campus West being closed, YUSU is opening a new outdoor bar on Greg’s Place by the lake called The Lakeside Tap. It will be opening from Monday 19 April and will remain open throughout the rest of the term alongside The Forest, if Government regulations allow it. The venue will also be the primary location on campus to view Roses Unlocked 2021, as URY and YSTV will be working alongside the venue to provide live coverage for the Covid-safe Roses events occurring between 30 April and 02 May.

Speaking on the opening of The Lakeside Tap, York Sport Union President Maddi Cannell has said:

‘I think it is fantastic we are opening another outdoor venue on campus to give everyone more opportunities to socialise in a Covid-secure space. Lockdown has been an isolating experience so I am definitely looking forward to a nice beverage watching the sun set over the lake with my Committees. Having the big screen will also mean the return of the Premier League and other live sport! And, for Roses Unlocked, it is an exciting opportunity to bring the sport to you in the absence of spectators.’

In regards to all open venues, Term 1 restrictions and etiquette is expected to apply, with QR track and trace codes at every venue, as well as the need for face coverings when not-seated at your designated table.

Latest in Campus News