Campus News News

York Mind revealed as Roses 2021 charity recipient

In a year when mental health issues have been at an all-time high, fundraising for mental health charities, such as York Mind, are ‘all the more meaningful’

Image Credit: YUSU

In a statement to Nouse today, 09 April, the York Sport Union announced that York Mind will be the recipient of Roses Unlocked fundraising, with Lancaster teams raising money for Lancaster Mind. Last year, in virtual Roses, a total of over £4000 was raised for charity.

York Mind is a charity which aims to support those struggling with mental health issues through counselling, advocacy, wellbeing activities and peer support. During the Covid-19 pandemic, mental health issues have been steadily increasing - especially amongst the student population across all universities. As such, ‘the decision to raise money for York Mind this year is all the more deliberate and meaningful.’

The York Sport Union told Nouse that they are ‘committed to supporting and building positive mental health among their clubs’ and that they ‘also wanted to create a connection between the two institutions, in a year where participants are competing far away from one another.

‘Therefore, Mind, a charity with branches in both areas, seemed a natural choice.’ The Union hopes that their fundraising will ‘will create opportunities to partner with York Mind in the future and increase the charity’s visibility on campus.’

Jenna, the Fundraising Coordinator at York Mind, responded to the news by saying: ‘York Mind are super excited to be announced as a partner charity for the 2021 Roses Tournament. It means so much that the student community of York wants to support our vital local work.

‘The pandemic has affected people’s mental health and we have already seen a huge rise in people coming to us for support. Local community fundraising is now more important than ever to ensure we can continue supporting people on a path to recovery. Every penny really does count!’

Despite Mind being announced as the official Roses recipient, individual clubs can choose to raise money for other charities (which was the case in 2020 Virtual Roses). YUSU say that they have allowed this so that clubs can ‘choose causes close to their hearts’. The fundraising will take place primarily online - through a Just Giving page (whether that be for York Mind or another charity). Individuals can also donate via text message if they wish.

Further details of the Just Giving page and the text donation will be provided closer to the tournament.

Latest in Campus News