Arts Podcast Picks Muse

Podcast Picks: Call Her Daddy

Neve Iredale recommends Alexandra Cooper and Sofia Franklyn's honest yet entertaining podcast.

Image Credit: Spotify Studios

The sex advice and comedy podcast Call Her Daddy would likely need no introduction in the US, topping the charts week after week and being dubbed “one of the hottest properties in the podcast game” by Forbes. For the sake of a largely unaware UK audience, some background information is necessary.

The Call Her Daddy podcast was started by Alexandra Cooper and Sofia Franklyn in 2018 with its popularity being almost instantaneous. It was soon picked up by Barstool Sports, which is run by the notorious Dave Portnoy. The immediate success of the podcast can be boiled down to its candid ‘locker-room talk’; a sobering frankness about dating, men, sex, life in New York City, and really anything else they wanted to comment on. Born out of this honesty was a very entertaining podcast, and with the chemistry of the two roommates electrifying the headphones of anyone intrigued enough to find out what ‘Call Her Daddy’ meant.

In May 2020, Call Her Daddy went through somewhat of a divorce. When contract negotiations arose, so did tensions and the podcast went radio silent. To keep it brief, Sofia split from the podcast entirely, leaving Alex to host solo. Following a fairly nasty smear campaign against Sofia, labelling her greedy and under the thumb of her then-boyfriend, Sofia started a solo podcast of her own, Sofia with an F.

With all that being said, I’m recommending the pre-divorce Call Her Daddy podcast. And to add yet another caveat to this recommendation, the podcast prioritises entertainment above anything else. The topics discussed are not geared towards health and wellness, nor do they ever claim to be. In fact, for advice on establishing healthy relationships you might benefit from doing the exact opposite of what Cooper and Franklyn suggest. The hosts perpetuate toxicity, and if you’re not completely convinced, check out their ‘cheat on him’ merch.

Now, to offer a glimpse into the true nature of the episodes, here is the title of one –  ‘Double Penetration and a Happy New Year’. As you can see,  the title leaves little to the imagination and so it comes as no surprise that episode 16 includes the discussion of a friends’ experience with a crazy threesome. Brace yourself however, because this only takes up 10 minutes of the episode. Buckle in for a chat on how the editing of nudes has gone too far, what ‘soaking’ means in Utah, and step-by-step advice on how to make your Instagram more inviting to the average scroller.

I usually find myself skipping past the question-and-answer segment that podcasts seem to include so persistently, but it appears Alex and Sofia also understand the monotony of it. ‘Daddy gang’ members’ questions, queries and ridiculous stories are shared at the very end of each episode and addressed in a manner that stays consistent with the tone of the podcast – snappy, silly and altogether chaotic.

After initially being hailed an ‘empowering’ podcast, thanks largely to the unapologetic attitude towards sex, Call Her Daddy has recently come under scrutiny for being misogynistic. While I would certainly agree with much of the criticism about the way the hosts propagate a message of ‘beating men at their own game’, it nonetheless offers a competitive rival to the popular Joe Rogan Experience, and I know which I’d rather listen to. I’d argue that Sofia is much more aware of this element of the podcast and makes a concerted effort to correct Alex when she oversteps the mark, which explains why, in the post-divorce era of Call Her Daddy, Sofia’s solo podcast is received more positively.

The episodes vary in length, from 28 minutes to 70, all with titles designed to raise the eyebrows of your grandparents and parents alike. Alex offers advice on the topic of dating all-star athletes, while Sofia goes into hilarious detail about growing up and causing trouble in Mormon Utah. The pair use aliases like ‘MILF Hunter’, ‘Suit-man’ and ‘Door number 3’ to protect the identities of the men in their lives, which is one of the reasons that it’s beneficial to listen to the podcast episodes from oldest to newest.

Anecdotes about the realities of living in New York City as a twenty-something, frame by frame descriptions of sexual escapades, and mindlessly ineffective advice about dating and relationships make this podcast perfect for a specific target audience – the young adult, tired of the serious conversations and in need of something you can’t write home about.

Latest in Arts