Campus News News

Confirmed: 2021 in-person graduation ceremonies cancelled

In an email sent out to students today, 27 January, the University confirmed that the class of 2021 would be graduating online

Image Credit: Annie Watson

The email, from Vice Chancellor, Charlie Jeffery, confirmed that this year's graduation will take place online, in August 2021.

The University have taken the decision now "because of the continuing impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic", and likened graduation to other cancelled events such as "Glastonbury, which was scheduled to take place in late June." They said that "it is clear that any form of physical gathering involving large numbers of people will not be advisable, and may well not be allowed, over the summer of 2021... Even as the vaccination programme rolls out, it seems extremely unlikely that it will be safe to bring large crowds together by July 2021."

In a bid to reassure students, Jefferey stated that they "want to reiterate to you the commitment I made to our January 2021 graduating class in our online graduations last week – that as soon as it is safe to do so you will be invited back to campus to participate in a graduation ceremony in Central Hall so that you can celebrate together with your family, friends and supporters."

Despite how unpredictable the current virus is, Jefferey explained that the University "will continue to monitor government guidance but it seems most likely that we will be able to schedule these [in-person] celebrations in Spring 2022."

<br /><br />

Latest in Campus News