Campus News News

Brian Terry to resign today, despite promise of month-long notice period

The, now ex, YUSU Activities Officer had stated he would stay in his position for a final month, he has now been granted an early release from his role

Image Credit: YUSU

On 21 January, Brian Terry informed students of his plan to resign following being "offered long term employment at a stable company". In that email, he told student groups that he would use his notice period of one month 'to faithfully serve my time out.'

However, in a new email today, 26 January, student groups were informed that today would be his last day. The email said:

“As you are aware Brian Terry resigned from the role of Student Activities Officer last Thursday (January 21st 2021). Since this unexpected announcement, YUSU has agreed to support Brian's request for an early release from his contract and so his last day at work will be today (Tuesday 26th January 2021).”

It continued by stating that “YUSU staff and officers are committed to supporting student activities during the time this role is vacant.” And that “The YUSU trustees are meeting this Wednesday evening and will review the governance requirements and consider best practice in relation to next steps for the vacancy that Brian’s departure creates. In the very short term key elements of the role are being reassigned and further information about this will be communicated to student activity groups directly.”

The email concluded by expressing YUSU’s gratitude for the, now-ex, Activities Officer, stating: “We wish Brian every success in his new role and thank him for his dedication in representing and supporting students at York.”

In an email from Brian to student groups he said: “I hope you guys have enjoyed working with me as much as I've enjoyed working with you. I've always tried to put student's ideas, wants and opinions at the core of what I've been doing. I know this year hasn't been fantastic for activities but you've all made me very proud. Best of luck for the future guys!”

Again, it is yet unclear how the process for finding a replacement for Brian will work. However, as stated earlier in the report, following the YUSU Trustees meeting on Wednesday, we should know more information.

Latest in Campus News