Campus News News

New Campus East college first to be named after female

The newly named Anne Lister college is also the first to be named after an LGBTQ+ figure

Image Credit: Matthew King

One of the two new Campus East colleges currently under construction has been named the Anne Lister college, as reported by York Vision earlier today.

This will be the first college to be named after a woman and the first college to be named after an LGBTQ+ historical figure.

Anne Lister (1791-1840) is known as the ‘first modern lesbian’ and was a keen diarist, writing in code about her life and secret marriage to Ann Walker. It is believed that she was the influence for the TV series ‘Gentleman Jack’.
Her rainbow plaque can be seen in Holy Trinity Church in Goodramgate, York.

The new college will have band three type rooms meaning they will be self-catered ensuite with a larger ¾ size double bed, costing £159 per week. Currently the college has 312 band three type rooms with hopes of including 36 band four rooms in the future.

The decision to give the Anne Lister college a band three or four price range means that only Halifax and Vanbrugh offer the cheaper band one prices with Derwent and James offering some band two prices.

The University of York website states “This is the first phase of the new colleges with the remaining due to open in September 2021. When complete, there will be 1480 new rooms with two hub buildings surrounded by gardens and a large green space for University and college events.”

Latest in Campus News