Campus News News

“The University is not closed”: Campus services to remain open despite lockdown measures 

While campus services, like the library, will remain open, the Chancellor has stated that all Spring Term teaching will be delivered online  

Image Credit: Annie Watson

In an email to students earlier today (5 January), the Vice-Chancellor, Charlie Jefferey, reassured students that “the University is not closed. Study spaces, the Library, accommodation, our on-campus supermarkets, on-campus catering (including takeaway service), and student support services all remain available.”

His email also clarified that “there are exceptions to the guidance in the Government message of ‘stay at home’”. He stated that “students who feel their physical and mental wellbeing will be better served by returning to York may do so, and students who do not have adequate study facilities at home (eg good wifi, computer equipment or study space) may also return.”

For reasons of “stability” the chancellor has officially stated that “all classroom-based teaching activity will be delivered online for the entirety of the Spring Term.” He added that “We hope to be able to provide in-person teaching using specialist teaching spaces (eg lab and performance spaces), subject to further Government guidance, later in the term.”

Finally, the email explained that students in University owned accommodation will be contacted soon regarding the impact of the new government guidance to them, which he says will include “questions on rents”.

The concluded his email by stating that he will be "back in touch" with students when the University gains more clarification from the government regarding the current restrictions.