Campus News News

YUSU introduces card readers for clubs and societies

Student groups can now use SumUp readers to take card payments. 

Image Credit: John Husband

Where previously student groups were only able to accept cash payments, now, after a successful trial period, YUSU has confirmed that clubs and societies will be able to apply for SumUp card readers.

The devices are simple to use. A group member taking a payment must download the SumUp app, log into their society’s account, and enter a payment amount. This wirelessly connects to the card reader, allowing the payee to be charged either by contactless or a card insert and pin, and to be emailed a receipt.

Brian Terry, YUSU Student Activities Officer said he was “delighted”. “This will massively help students to safely take transactions in a both Covid secure fashion and also from a security point of view. This has been something a lot of student groups have wanted for a long time and I’m happy we’re able to introduce it.

I appreciate the timing of this is less than ideal with us currently in lockdown, but as soon as we are able to get back to in person events, I’m happy that we can offer this service to our student groups”.

Scoop, an on campus co-operative food shop, have been trialing using a card reader since September and have been able to stay open all term. Su-Sam Tham, Chair of Scoop, writes that, “The card reader has been really good for Scoop because it’s one of the reasons we’ve been allowed to stay open and bypass any problems with quarantining money.

Even before lockdown, people were carrying less and less cash around so we were already looking at implementing a card reader system to account for this trend”.

Societies and student groups are asked to get in touch with their relevant link staff members at YUSU if they wish to order a card reader for their group.