Food & Drink Food & Drink Features Muse

Indie food outlets open in lockdown

Annabel Mulliner explores independent eateries in York that are open for takeaway in lockdown

Image Credit: @ bisonyork

Though York’s streets may be a little emptier than usual, there are plenty of independent eateries open to keep us going on our winter walks and lockdown nights in.

The hospitality sector contributes around £120 billion to the UK economy every year, and over 200,000 small businesses play a part in this. However this year, UKHospitality estimated that the sector would only turn over £80 billion.

The furlough scheme and business grants, while being helpful, can only go so far in ensuring that small independent outlets stay afloat. The first lockdown was tough enough; as we approach Christmas, businesses are losing out on a huge proportion of their profits in this second lockdown.

Now that one of the only legal social outlets we have is a good old walk around town with a mate, what better excuse do you need to continue spending our money on as many chai lattes as our hearts desire?

After all, the days of spending half of our weekly budget on triple blue shits are long gone. In the run-up to Christmas, it’s crucial that we do our bit for York’s economy by spending our money wisely, putting it in the pockets of hard-working business people so that York’s food scene can continue to thrive for years to come.

So whether it’s a hot chocolate to accompany your meander through the Museum Gardens, or a cheeky takeaway to brighten up your evening, make sure that you’re supporting small businesses.

I took on the very challenging and important task of wandering about town and noting down all the wonderful eateries that you can still grab a bite from during lockdown this month. This is by no means an exhaustive directory, but I hope that it encourages you to venture out, take some time for yourself and enjoy a good slice of cake.

On-the-go Treats

Bison Coffee (@bisonyork) – A student hotspot, and mightily convenient given that it’s just along the route from Uni to town. Stop by for a takeaway toastie or hot beverage. I highly recommend their bagels – especially the Vegan Club.

The Hairy Fig (@hairyfigyork) – This Fossgate favourite is serving up delicious food from their delicatessen throughout lockdown, including homemade sausage rolls. What’s more, they’re also delivering cheese and charcuterie hampers which they can tailor-make to suit all tastes and budgets. Cheese and wine night with the housemates, anyone?

Kiosk (@kiosk_cafe) – Famed for their lamb, paneer, and bhaji burgers as well as other savoury offerings, you can find Kiosk on Walmgate.

Cafe Lendal (@cafelendal) – Situated next to the Museum Gardens, they are open for takeaway hot drinks and cakes. Their hot chocolate is delicious and reasonably priced.

Stam and Maria’s Greek Corner Cafe – This Greek cafe can be found next to the Parliament Street entrance to the Shambles Market. They sell everything from chicken gyros to flaky pastries.

Vanilla Cafe (@thevanillacafe) – A charming, picturesque cafe whose fairy lights you won’t be able to miss, Vanilla Cafe can be found around the right-hand side of the Minster. This one is perfect for a catch-up coffee in the Minster Gardens.

Brew and Brownie (@brewandbrownie) – Not only is York’s most beloved brunch spot open for takeaway toasties, teas, and brekkies, but they’re also delivering ‘chocolate survival’ boxes consisting of a selection of six flavoured brownies.

Proper Grub

YUZU Streetfood (@yuzu_streetfood) – Famed for their incredible bao buns, Yuzu are open for collection and can also be found on Deliveroo.

Middle Feast (@middlefeastyork) – A traditional, authentic shawarma shop that caters to meat-lovers and veggies alike; tuck into as many falafels as your heart desires. Available for takeaway via UberEats, Deliveroo, and Just Eat.

Orinoco (@orinocoveganyork) – Formerly ‘Once Across the Garden’, located on York’s ‘Vegetarian Street’ (aka. Church Street) they serve up devilish vegan junk food, from fried ‘chicken’ to Iron Bru tofu. You can order for collection or delivery via just eat, or by calling 07463642198.

SPARK:Go (@sparkyork) – Several outlets from York’s trendiest venue are continuing to deliver top-quality nosh. You can find Sloppy’s Burgers, Clucking Oinks, Tricolour, and Dog Nose Taqueria all on Deliveroo.