Music Nouse Playlist Muse

The Muse Mix

Michael Athey introduces Muse’s new rolling series, a fortnightly round up of our Nouse and Muse Editor’s current favourite tracks, titled: ‘The Muse Mix’.

Image Credit: Primary Talent (modified by Alex Thompson)

After recently acquiring a Muse Spotify account we are excited to share some of our favourite tracks that are dominating our Editor’s speakers and headphones at the moment. This the first roundup of what will be a fortnightly series and the fifteen songs collected for this opener are definitely varied. Impending lockdown was clearly on many of our minds but there are also some more lighthearted and escapist tunes for you all to delve into. Here it is - https://open.spotify.com/playlist/69zJThTcksfng4OkVuYJeQ?si=YAZ8aUaQTlWDk_SB_wgVMA - Enjoy!

‘How It Is’ – Rush:
It was inevitable Rush would at some point feature on this list for me, so may as well start as I mean to go on! It kicks into gear with a blistering riff from the criminally underrated guitarist Alex Lifeson, but the main attraction comes from the bittersweet chorus. Neil Peart’s beautiful lyrics detailing being “frozen in the moment…between how it is and how it ought to be” pack a lot of emotion into just a few lines. Striking the line between concise, but also being open to self interpretation, makes it a great comfort song for many situations.

Michael Athey, Deputy Music Editor

‘Why’ - Dominic Fike:
‘Why’ by Dominic Fike or in fact any track from the What Could Possibly Go Wrong album (special mention to ‘Chicken Tenders’ and ‘Double Negative’). It’s impossible not to dance to Fike. Also, as we enter into a second lockdown listening to over two minutes of someone singing “do you ever wonder why” over and over feels fittingly existential.

Jenna Luxon, Muse Editor

‘Hard Times’ – Paramore:
It's an absolute bop at the best of times, and even better at the worst of times, no doubt I'll be dancing in my living room to it quite frequently over the next month. The high contrast between the bubbly vibes and the fittingly depressing lyrics (“gunna make you wonder why you even try”) make it a great lockdown anthem for picking you up while acknowledging that you're feeling down.

Annabel Mulliner, Deputy Editor

‘Better in Blak’ – Thelma Plum:
‘Better in Blak’ by Thelma Plum - no, that’s not a typo! I can’t think which song from this album is my actual favourite so of course I had to go for the title track. She sings predominantly about her position as a female aboriginal Australian and her whole album is incredibly empowering. I’m obsessed.

Emily Harvie, Deputy Muse Editor

‘On My Own’ – Jaden, Kid Cudi:
This is a favourite of both myself and one of my best friends from home, so listening to it always reminds of him. Aside from that, some of the lyrics have quite a powerful message behind them, making it all the more fabulous to blast out far too loud.

Cara Lee, Sub Editor

‘Hurts’ – Joy Crookes:
Alice Manning's recent piece for Muse which introduced Crookes as an emerging artist reminded me of how brilliant she is and I haven’t stopped listening to her music since. I love Crookes’ whole persona, the proud and unpretentious South-Londoner who can make ballads about deep insecurities while not taking herself too seriously. Singing along to lyrics like “I just pull up and skrrt, you just pull up when it hurts” is as comfortingly cathartic as it is catchy.

(Want to check out more from Joy Crookes? Follow this link to read Features Editor, Alice Manning’s article on her - here)

Kristina Wemyss, Music Editor

‘Heroes’ - Mans Zelmerlow:
As a Eurovision fan myself, I’m aware that some of the songs tend to be a bit ‘cringey’ but this is definitely not one of them! This catchy song calls us “the heroes of our time but we’re dancing with the demons in our mind” and as we go into a second lockdown, it's definitely going to give me the determination to stay positive and keep going.

Emily Hewat, News Editor

'One' - Cleo Sol:
Sol's earthy voice and the sweeping instrumentals make for a bold and magnificent listening experience. The lyrics are a brilliant take down on human behaviour and the state of the world, so it's definitely the song for our times!

Alice Manning, Features Editor

‘Arsonists Lullaby’ – Hosier:
Probably a bit darker and more serious than the others on this list but I used to listen to it when I was a sad and edgy teen and it’s crept back onto my Spotify queue recently. However, it is a really interesting song and I would definitely recommend giving it a listen.

Matthew King, Editor

‘Fake Empire’ - The National:
One of The National’s top tunes. Good one for anti-establishment dreaming and feelings of existentialism. Moving lyrics and building, plucky piano that turns grandiose. A rebellious bop.

Ellie Parnham, Comment Editor

‘I Cannot Fucking Wait Til Morrissey Dies’ – JPEGMAFIA:
Peggy brings his confrontational lyrics and experimental production to the subject of our racist music ‘heroes’.

Ivor Holmes, Deputy Film and TV Editor

'Morley's Freestyle' - Krept:
One half of the iconic drill duo delivers a blistering freestyle, packed with punchlines and the MCs trademark venom. Plus, it's named after the best chicken shop ever so that's a bonus.

Alex Thompson, Social Media Director

‘Cause I’m a Man’ - Tame Impala:
The instrumental parts of this song are just so sexy and can fit both a chill or dancing in your room kinda mood!

Beth Evans, Sub Editor

‘Positions’ - Ariana Grande:
We can all pretend to be musically edgy but do any of the other songs on this list make you feel like a bad bitch as you’re listening to lyrics about meeting the “mama on a Sunday”? I won’t pretend this is a deep and meaningful song, and most of the lyrics repeat time and time again, but it IS a bop and I DO listen to it on repeat as I walk home from work pretending I’m the main character.

Lucy Cooper, Comment Editor

‘High Pressure Days’ Units:
Burrowing into late-night Spotify rabbit holes are always rewarding when you unearth a gem like this. Synths threaten to overload before breaking into a tune that never strays too far from organised chaos. It is a necessary funky, punky, cathartic bop and its narrative of ‘High Pressure Days’ discussing the struggle to stay connected with friends obviously feels poignant. (Also, the synth in the chorus that unintentionally sounds exactly like the scariest sound in the world - my morning alarm - definitely couldn’t be more suited to a song about pressure).

Michael Athey, Deputy Music Editor