Campus News News

Support for students in isolation

University announce their food plans for students in isolation

Image Credit: Luke Snell

The University, in light of the coronavirus pandemic, are offering a food delivery service to students that are forced to self isolate. This service applies to those in on-campus accommodation and involves three meal plan packages at varying price points.

The basic package is a basic lunch meal plan which will cost £70 for the two week long isolation period. Lunch will be delivered to accommodation between 11am-2pm depending on demand and will include a sandwich, crisps and a confectionery item with a bottle of water. The second plan costs £100 for the two week period, and consists of the daily delivery of dinner along with a breakfast package for the following morning.The breakfast selection includes typical breakfast items such as bread buns and preserves, cereals with milk.

The dinners will consist of a hot main course, a dessert and a drink. The final package is a £170 combination of both plans, dinner and breakfast are delivered together at the same time as with the £100 plan, and lunch will be delivered separately in accordance to the timings from the lunch-only plan. Overall, to have all of your meals a day provided by the university it will cost £170 for the two weeks, or around £12.10 a day, all paid in advance, which is controversial as it may be considered less than economically viable for certain groups of students. However, the University insists that the meal packages are good value for money, stating that: “the campus meal delivery packages are among a range of options available to students to access food and supplies. All of the delivery packages are offered at cost, covering the costs of food and staffing only. Meals are prepared fresh every day and the catering team has worked to ensure that they are substantial, balanced and sustainable.”

The University has also partnered with Morrisons to assist other students both on and off campus in providing for themselves during the COVID-19 pandemic, and especially if isolation protocols need to be followed. The supermarket chain are operating a 24-hour food delivery hotline for students and have pledged to reduce the cost of their delivery services from the usual £5 to just £2 delivery if the delivery is to a residence containing an isolating person. Customer and Local Marketing Director for Morrisons, Anna Lane has said that the chain is “delighted” to be working with the University in order to assist students in accessing affordable food and supplies during the difficult time.

The university also suggests that students can order from different supermarkets, although they do not have the same partnership with other chains, local takeaways or the on-campus Nisa online store if they need to access food during isolation.

While Nouse asked if those students already receiving financial aid would be able to access a discount on the food delivery services, the University response was that the packages would remain the same price for everyone. They went on to state that: “it is important to us that all of our students needing to self-isolate are able to obtain food and supplies easily and safely, and we have worked to provide a range of options to suit different needs and preferences, all at cost price with no profit to the University."