Politics Column Politics

Left Wing, Right Wing: Thoughts from the Politics Editor

Does Laurance Fox's "Reclaim" Party have a place in British politics?

EIGHT MONTHS ON from his controversial appearance on Question Time, former Lewis co-star, Laurence Fox, is still making headlines. The controversy was ruthless in response to his comments regarding the Duchess of Sussex’s leave from the Royal family. Later in the proceedings, Mr Fox had found himself exasperated by a member of the audience. Rachel Boyle, from the University ofEdge Hill, who had exclaimed that “we should call it out for what it is...and that is racism”. He heavily discarded any notion that the Duchess’ withdrawal from the Monarchy was due to surmounting discriminatory media coverage. Fox went as far as to say that people like Boyle were guilty of over-using “the race card” and that “charging people (irresponsibly) with racism” was “getting rather boring”. Rather than being met with silence,he was praised with applause. In an environment where movements such as the Brexit Party were raised to prominence and allowed to fall into insignificance without a moderate successor, it is unfortunate to say that Reclaim may very well have a place inthe political arena, and this is some-thing at the heart of Fox’s appeal.The aims of his party appear simple: to prosper British values and prop up our collective heritage by seeking to make all arts related and publicly funded institutions politically neutral.However, in British politics there is a yearning, a sinister cry for help from the self-proclaimed anti-woke-ists who demand satisfaction over this new “white man’s burden.” Reclaim falsely promises those fed up with the“Politically correct” media and prominent Human rights movements, that tradition will be restored, to displace equal rights, equal justice and equal representation for all.