Arts Arts Editor Freshers Lifestyle Muse Freshers

Arts: Autumn Term Ahead

Muse's Arts Editor Elizabeth Walsh runs through York's top events for the coming term

Image Credit: Ellen Martin

With the start of the new term comes a whole host of new and exciting events run both in person and online. Arts editor Elizabeth Walsh takes a look at some of the most interesting arts events taking place this term, ranging from book clubs and film screenings to talks and exhibitions.

On Fire: The Burning Case for a Green New Deal
 Thursday 1 October 6.45pm to 8pm – online

Join award-winning journalist and author Naomi Klein for a captivating evening discussing all things climate change. Her book On Fire gathers more than a decade's worth of her writing from the frontline of climate breakdown, alongside her most recent material on the staggeringly high stakes resting on what we do next. You can book free tickets through this link: https://www.york.ac.uk/news-and-events/events/public-lectures/autumn-2020/on-fire/

Feminist Society
Starting Thursday 1 October

The FemSoc committee have been working hard to deliver a fun and informative  programme of events for this term. Some of the most highly anticipated events include a witchy talk about the historical persecution of womxn as well as a panel discussion with other societies about what feminism means to them. Further details will be released on social media @uoyfemsoc.

Running throughout the term is an important campaign on consent and rape culture at university. Alongside this, Week 3 will see a collaboration with AlbumSoc in an event about womxn in the music industry. Finally, looking further into the future, Week 9 sees a collaboration with NatureSoc involving a festive twist.

BLM Book Club
Starting Monday 5th October

Following the huge success of their summer term pilot run, BLM Book Club are returning this term with an exciting new reading list. Be sure to keep an eye out for the new collaborations with YARC Soc as well as History Soc.  There will be four topics covered over the eight weeks, from the Windrush Scandal and Notting Hill Carnival, to racism in algorithms. The links for the bi-weekly book club meetings will be available on their social media channels @uoyblmbookclub.

Anyone Can Sew Online Course
Monday 19 October 9 am - online
Free for the first 40 people and £2 to join after that

Have you ever wanted to learn how to sew? Well, now’s your chance. Join Sewing Society for an eight-week online course designed with complete beginners in mind. Each week participants will learn a new skill with themes ranging from advanced stitches to an introduction to embroidery. Every session will begin with a detailed tutorial with the committee on hand to answer any questions. To register for the course follow this link:
https://yusu.org/events/id/522-anyone-can-sew-autumn-term-online-course

Isaac Julien Film Screening - Norman Rea Gallery X History of Art
Tuesday 20 October 7pm-online

In celebration of Black History Month, Norman Rea Gallery will be teaming up with the Department of History of Art to bring you the best of Isaac Julien, a renowned British artist and filmmaker. The two features will be Who Killed Colin Roach? (1983) , Julien’s first film which reflects upon the death of a young black man outside a police station in East London. The second is Derek (2009) which takes a look back at the life and work of queer filmmaker Derek Jarman.

Enjoy the immersive and educational experience from the comfort of your room!

Human Nature Exhibition
Wednesday 21 October- 24 January 2021, York Art Gallery
Tickets – £8 for students

With tickets going on sale the week commencing 5 October, this is an exhibition not to be missed. Human Nature, an ambitious collection of installations, will form the centerpiece of this year's York Mediale. Visitors will have the opportunity to discover how the body is hardwired and linked to nature. Limina, a collection by Manchester Based fine artist Rachel Goodyear, will form part of the display, offering a glimpse into the psyche and fragments of the subconscious.

Graveyard Shakespeare
Thursday 29 October 7pm

Get involved with this year's ShakeSoc freshers event ‘Graveyard Shakespeare’. Join in by celebrating all things spooky as captured by the theme of ghosts and spirits. The event is open to all with the opportunity to perform a short extract as a monologue, pair or small group. More details are to follow so keep an eye on their facebook page @UOYShakesoc

Royal Academy of Art - Virtual Tour
On going – online

One of the best things to have arisen from lockdown is virtual tours. Without the usual trek down to London you can enjoy Gauguin and the Impressionists: Masterpieces of the Ordrupgaard Collection from home. The virtual tour lasts for around 20 minutes and  includes some of the best work from artists including Renoir, Monet and Pissarro. To access the virtual tour follow this link: https://www.royalacademy.org.uk/article/gauguin-virtual-tour