Editorials Comment

Editor's Note: Stay another day

Nouse Editor, Jonathan Wellington, concludes this run of The Weekly Nouse with a ridiculously long Editor's Note that doesn't actually say an awful lot

Image Credit: London Recordings

So this is it, the end of this series of ‘The Weekly Nouse’. Maybe it will return, but for now at least it has served its purpose. It’s worked to maintain the platform and has served to give a lot of the team some added purpose in what has been otherwise a bit of a shit time.

This week we’ve got a whole host of incredible content.

Matthew King is once again the rock of the News section telling us about Friday’s ‘How do we build an anti-racist student community in York?’ event and also providing us with this week’s ‘Life in Lockdown’. Last week the Government announced that paid student nurse contracts were to be terminated early and so Matthew has spoken to three York based nurses about how this has affected them and how they’ve found being student nurses on the frontline of this pandemic. I’m trying to not read too much into the fact that three of the best ‘Life in Lockdown’s’ have been the three that I didn’t write and instead, as always, celebrate the amazing work of the individuals around me. Matt, Alex, and Malu have all risen to this amazing challenge in their own unique and personal ways and the resultant interviews make for incredible reads. In comment there is a focus on intersectionality with Ellie Parnham writing about how important this topic is and Comment Editor Joseph revisiting his previous thoughts on the pride flag. In Politics Eleanor Longman-Rood talks about constitutional change in Russia and the devastating humanitarian crisis currently taking place in Yemen.

As always MUSE delivers some exceptionally interesting content. Charlotte Lear looks at Spark’s new cladding and Hashaam Yaqoob looks at ‘How The Alt-Right Misappropriates Media’. Elizabeth Walsh looks into the area of London that housed five of the greatest female pioneers during the interwar period. Alongside this we have our continuation of the spectacular ‘You are what you read’ series with Cara Lee taking the mantle this week.

Looking back to that first ‘You are what you read’, the first ‘Life in Lockdown’, and the first edition of ‘The Weekly Nouse’, it feels like so much longer than 9 weeks ago. So much seems to have happened in that time within Nouse, with so many of our team really rising to the occasion and going a long way to making up for the two print editions which we missed. Despite ‘The Weekly Nouse’ potentially returning next term, there are so many within Nouse that will not. Tonight we’ll have our “summer party” and I will hopefully be able to articulate to them just how much this breaks my heart. These individuals have given so much to their time here at York and I really like to think that Nouse has given them plenty in return. These individuals have come to define me and my time here at Nouse and honestly I’m left feeling very lost at the prospect of them leaving. Just the thought of losing Pat and Malu is bringing a tear to my eye as I write this and I feel I’m still in denial about the fact that I’ll very shortly be faced with a Nouse which doesn’t have either of them in it.

In this edition Nouse legend Patrick Hook-Willers says his final goodbye to Nouse in an article I can’t actually tell you much about. I’ve not actually been allowed to read it yet but I’ve been promised it will make me cry and I’m confident that it will. I could have, and actually did in the first draft of this, included entire essays praising Nouse’s Deputy Editor Pat Hook-Willers and MUSE’s Deputy Editor Malu Aversa but have decided to save these words for speeches at tonight’s virtual “summer party”.

It may be June, but that hasn’t stopped me replaying the words of Tony Mortimer, Brian Harvey, John Hendy and Terry Coldwell thinking of this very moment. East 17’s ‘Stay Another Day’ and its powerful while slightly pathetic lyrics have become the soundtrack of my misery as Pat, Malu, and many others within this amazing team prepare to leave university and this society. Already the “good times we had, return to haunt me” as I worry about whether it will ever be the same again. It does indeed feel like “we’ve come too far now just to go and try to throw it all away” and despite the countless hours we’ve spent together in the office it does feel as if “I’ve only just begun to know” these amazing people. (Although it is important to highlight it never quite got to the stage where I touched Pat’s face while he was sleeping - bit of a weird line that E17.)

Despite this characteristically melancholy state of mind, there exists some positives to be taken from this. The first is naturally how lucky I feel to have been able to work alongside these people in such a way and how lucky I feel to know that our friendships will outlast our time here. If someone had told me when I first started that I’d be writing a goodbye editor’s note to people within the society using 90s pop references, which didn’t even adequately cover how dramatic the situation is, then I would’ve understandably have said you were talking gibberish.

Maybe I am, even now.

I’m also excited to see what happens at our by-elections next week and I’m excited to see how people rise to the challenge of filling the enormous boots left behind. Will Nouse ever find anyone as dedicated as Bex has been as our chief sub this year? Will Features ever have such an iconic leader as Weeterz again? Will Politics ever see a more apologetic Editor than our amazing Ellie? Will a Deputy MUSE Editor ever be carried from Lowther to Flares by the Editor again? The answer to all of these somewhat odd questions is probably not, but I’m excited to see people try and live up to these Nouse legends in their own ways.

Saying all these individuals are irreplaceable and then instantly replacing half of them seems weird and the definition of bitter-sweet. Regardless we must go on. I seriously contemplated stepping down as a result of them leaving but will instead stay on as me and Alex take on new deputies in the senior team as we work towards a socially distant Autumn term.

I will “stay another day” even if it will never quite feel the same again.