Roses Sport News & Features Student News Sport

Roses 2020 cancelled due to global Coronavirus pandemic

Lancaster University and LUSU have announced the cancellation of Roses 2020 amid growing fears around the Coronavirus pandemic

Image Credit: Luke Snell

Roses 2020 has been cancelled due to the developing situation around the Coronavirus pandemic.

The decision was taken by Lancaster University Students’ Union (LUSU) and Lancaster University following new
government advice and a rapidly developing situation all across the world.

In the statement announcing the cancellation, YUSU stated that it “fully supports the decision” and that “the health and safety of all competitors, spectators, volunteers and staff is a shared priority.”

For many among the student body, missing out on Roses will be a heart-breaking blow, especially during a period of uncertainty surrounding online teaching and assignments, announced by the University yesterday (16 March). YUSU added that “we understand that many of you will be disappointed and that teams will have been panning for this event for some time” but made it clear that plans for the 2021 iteration of the tournament will begin swiftly.

York Sport Union President Maddi Cannell wrote of her “great sadness” at the cancellation of Roses 2020 via an online post, but made it clear that while “for many students this event is the highlight of their sporting year . . . given the current situation I fully support the decision made by LUSU and Lancaster University.”

In what was clearly a tough post to write after a long period of planning, Cannell added that she is “so proud of each and every student here for the hard work and dedication they display to their chosen sport”, and reflected on the impact of students and staff in making the 2019/20 season “immensely successful.”

She concluded with a short message to graduating students who, along with a myriad of other milestone university events, will miss their final Roses: “To all graduating students, thank you for your contributions to sporting life here at York.”

Cannell and YUSU have promised updates on the cancellation process for Roses 2020, and alluded to plans for
the 2021 tournament, which will be overseen by Cannell following her re-election as York Sport President in the YUSU elections last month, should York remain the host venue as would be expected.

In the absence of a 2020 tournament, as it appears there will be no attempts made by Lancaster University and LUSU to rearrange, York will remain holders of the Carter James Trophy for another year, following the 209.5-143.5 home win last year.

*Nouse *Sport will continue to provide all the key information relating to Roses 2020 and 2021 as the situation develops.