Campus News News

Summer term teaching to be moved online in response to coronavirus developments

The University have announced that examinations for first year students will be cancelled, with examinations for other years moved online

All teaching and assessment at the University of York is to be moved online from the beginning of next term in response to the global Coronavirus pandemic, the University’s Vice Chancellor, Charlie Jeffrey, announced via an email to all students and staff.

This will include all lectures, seminars and examinations. This movement to online teaching is happening across the UK, with dozens of other Universities also moving to teaching online in response to Coronavirus developments.

Additionally, the University has stated that all first-year undergraduate examinations are to be cancelled as “it would be irresponsible to continue with examinations that rely on large numbers of students physically gathering together to sit exams or take assessments”.

Other University events that were planned have also been cancelled such as open days and post-offer visit days. As well as this, the University has also announced that York Leaders, the training programme for students in positions of leadership, which was meant to take place between 18-20 March has also been cancelled.

The email sent out to students signed up for the York Leaders course were told however that the organisers are “investigating what opportunities we could make available later in the summer term”.

Despite these cancellations and the movement of teaching online, the University has still stated that “the University is not closed”, announcing that all colleges, residences, the library and the campus cafés will remain open and accessible as normal.

The University has stated that they will continue to send updates to students via email and suggest that all students “remain patient” in regard to the information given out by the University.