Student News News

International Women's Week set to take place in York

Events are being held all week to promote equality

Image Credit: YUSU WNBN

INTERNATIONAL Women’s Week has come to York; Monday 2nd through to Sunday 8th March  events will be held all over campus to celebrate women’s achievements,highlight barriers that women still face and inspire action for achieving equality. The message for International Women’s Day 2020 (8 March) is that collectively, each one of us can help create a gender equal world.

YUSU’s Women and Non-binary network (WNBN) coordinates campaigns all year round for students.Recently in the run up to International Women’s Week they have been shining a light on abusive relationships; the Red Flag campaign lead by Grace Clark works to highlight behaviours that often hallmark toxic relationships among university students. Details of the Red Flag campaign can be found on Instagram (@officalredflagcampaign).

Nouse spoke to Daisy Slate, one of the current officers at YUSU’s WNBN who has just been elected for her second year in the role,about the importance of this week for students and the wider community. Daisy told us, “International Women’s Week is, at its core, about celebrating and encouraging the achievements of all women while still highlighting inequalities and the work being done to tackle them.This is why we have such an array of events happening over the week,with the hope to empower and bring together the women of our university”.

Events being hosted by YUSU’s WNBN are as follows:
Crafty Convos.Monday 2 March 10am-1pm. YOURSPACE.
Crafty Convos 2: Return of the Tote Bag.Tuesday 3 March 10am-1pm. P/T/005a.
Connecting via Conversations BAME Event.Wednesday 4 March 7-10pm. The Kitchen @ Alcuin.
BOUNCE for International Women’s Week with BOUNCE York.Thursday 5 March 1:30-2:30pm. James Hall.
Still I Rise: International Women’s Poetry with the Department of English.Friday 6 March 5-8pm. Treehouse, Berrick Saul Building.

Celebrating Disabled Women.Saturday 7 March 8:30pm. Vanbrugh Arms.Events being hosted by colleges are as follows:
Goodricke College: FreeSanitary Products and Free theFlow donations.Monday 9 March
Goodricke College Nucleus. Goodricke College: Showing of He Named Me Malala and bracelet making.Tuesday 10 March.
Goodricke College: BoobCupcake sale.Wednesday 11 March.
Goodricke College: College Charity Changing Lives wine and painting night.Friday 13 March.
Halifax College: Fun FilmNight (and a chat about student’s experiences).Saturday 7 March.
Halifax College: Informa lCoffee and Conversation. Sunday 8 March.