York Sport Column Top Sport Story Varsity Sport News & Features Sport Comment Campus News News Sport

York celebrate most successful College Varsity yet

York won Varsity by a record points margin on an incredible day of college sport

Image Credit: Luke Snell

York won Varsity by a landslide on Sunday 1 March, scoring a huge 76 points — 30 more than last year. The hosts started the day with a sizeable 27-point advantage, following a number of Durham dropouts.

It narrows the gap on Durham's overall lead in the history of Varsity to just a single win. York have now won three editions to Durham's four. The hosting university have won the competition every time since its inception, barring Durham's away win at the very first Varsity in 2014.

The blockbuster day of events began at York Sports Arena with the Women's Badminton, where York took all eight points on offer, represented by Derwent and James. Action then moved outside to 22 Acres, with Derwent taking a third-minute lead but eventually losing the Women's Rugby clash to St Cuthbert's of Durham.

Hes West and Hes East's combined teams lost their Mixed Lacrosse matches, while Halifax A's two late goals only decreased the size of a 6-2 defeat by Collingwood.

Hes East, representing York as the Men's Rugby Union B side, put in an impressive display to come from behind. but with victory looking highly likely late on, a converted try in the dying embers turned the match on its head once more. Castle had stolen the victory, 34-33.

A string of marginal early afternoon defeats lugged Durham back to near-parity with York, even after the hosts' early default lead.

But James were mightily impressive in keeping out Van Mildert, snatching the Men's Rugby A match by just two points. The visitors were wasteful late on, missing a presentable penalty which would have earned them the five Varsity points instead.

In some of the most dominant displays of the day, James found themselves in total control of the Darts and Tennis, while Langwith added five more gleaming points to York's now bulging total by winning the squash.

On the JLD, Women's Football A were in great form as Derwent thrashed Collingwood 4-1. James also won in Women's Football, beating St Cuthbert's 6-3.

James were clinical in the Netball Women's B match, able to clinch the game by 34 points to 32.

Activity quietened down as the evening drew closer. Derwent were soon to take up their positions in the Men's Football A and Women's Netball A, facing Collingwood in both cases, who dominate sport at Durham.

The men's late goal wasn't enough in the Football, as they found themselves unlucky 2-1 losers. Similarly, Collingwood kept edging ahead and Derwent pulling back level in the Netball match. By the end, Collingwood had just been too clinical though and won 38-31, largely thanks to the composure and execution of their goal shooter and goal attack.

The Netball, attended by a large and loud gathering of avid supporters, brought to an end a truly memorable edition of York-Durham College Varsity, and York's biggest ever win in the competition.

Urging supporters to remain in the Arena, York Sport Union President Maddi Cannell took control of the mic and congratulated all that had taken part on the day, as well as those responsible for organising the whole event.

York Sport Union Committee surrounded her, posing for photos following the highly anticipated trophy lift.

It had been a brilliant day of college sport, and a very successful one for the University of York.

Speaking to *Nouse *after the event, Cannell stated "I'm absolutely 100% so proud of every single one of our athletes — not just those that have competed today, but also those that have given them competition over the leagues throughout the past two terms. It's great to come away with the win; absolutely fantastic."

Anonymous Posted on Sunday 12 Jul 2020

this spammer tho! Please don't be abusive