Hockey Sport

UYHC L3s secure promotion in 2-1 win

Women's Hockey 3s win close match with Sheffield to win Northern 5 title

Image Credit: LUKE SNELL

The Women’s 3s team showcased an excellent 2-1 winning performance against Sheffield Women’s 5s to see them crowned first in their division of the League and rewarded with a much deserved promotion for next year.

Following a 23-0 win in last weeks game, it seemed unlikely that the girls could continue with such a fine performance this week, but the team remained disciplined throughout Wednesday's fixture in order to secure the win.

The first half was certainly exciting, with a run of three goals, two of which saw York take the lead. The girls worked well to use all areas of the pitch, especially in the defensive half, where a diamond structure was employed to ensure the ball could be played across the back of the pitch and outlet to the wings. Defender Isabel Ringrose and goalkeeper Hannah Clayton kept the defensive unit tight and maintained good communication to ensure the girls remained ahead, 2-1, at half-time.

The second half saw York dominate possession from the beginning, but neither team could quite execute some impressive passages of play with a decisive goal. An early short corner gave hope of a third goal for York that would secure their lead, but despite a strong push out, Sheffield’s defense closed down the space at the top of the D too fast to allow an on-target straight strike. A series of short corners followed suit with a similar trend, and despite some tactical play from the York girls we just could not capitalise on the opportunities that arose to score.

The small frame of Sheffield’s goalkeeper was deceiving and the girls were forced to adapt their usual short corner routine, adopting a box style set up which saw the ball played to the top of the D as if for a straight strike, and then out to the left to open up space on the penalty spot where the ball was played back to fresher and midfielder, Alice McLeod-Scott. An agonisingly close save from the goalie prevented York from scoring but the girls remained relentless. A well placed drag flick or bottom corner sweep might have successfully hit the backboard instead of a Sheffield defenders stick, but it was not meant to be.

Most of the rest of play was centred around York’s midfield, but the girls could not break down Sheffield’s solid defensive structure to bag another goal.

Despite this, as the final whistle sounded it was a delight for the crowd to join the girls in celebrating their victory and consequent League promotion. The game demonstrated the hard work ethic of the girls and a true whole team effort.

It was a winning Wednesday all round as the Men’s 1s also dominated in their game against Sheffield Hallam, winning with an almost unbelievable 14 goals scored.

This takes them one step closer to being crowned League winners as they move forward to next week's game against Leeds Beckett Men’s 2s. This will be on home turf on the JLD with a 5pm pushback so let’s hope if the supporting crowd is big enough we might be treated to another double figure scoring game.

The Women’s 1s will be taking on Newcastle Women’s 3s next week ahead of their Cup Final game at Durham in a fortnight’s time. Make sure you save the date and get yourself down to show as much support as possible as the girls aim to continue their winning streak and end the season with a victory.

It’s clear it’s been an exceedingly successful BUCS season for the club so far, and we hope to be able to report more victories for the teams that are yet to finish their respective League and Cup runs as the term draws to a close.

Congratulations to all those who have completed their season, and very best of luck to those that await their final games before Easter.

The Women's 3s will complete their season at home to Leeds Women's 5s next Wednesday 11 March. This will however have no effect on their League win and promotion.
2577