York Sport Column Sport News & Features Lacrosse Sport

Lacrosse Women's 1s overpower Leeds Beckett

Thanks to a ten-goal victory, the Lacrosse Women's 1s remain second

Image Credit: Luke Snell

York Lacrosse Women’s 1s continued their strong form, seeing off Leeds Beckett 1s 14-4, a week after thrashing Lancaster 1s by 39 goals to one.

In a victory that kept York second in the Northern Tier 1 League, the hosts started well on the 3G pitch on Hes East, winning the first draw and coming close in the opening minute when Violet Beaumont was denied by Beckett goalie Maggie Kalilani-Themuka, following a smart pass from Emily Cummings.

Home side York were ahead only moments later, when Georgina Newey dashed behind the goal to the opposite flank, nipping inside to allow Kit Trantor the simple task of slotting home for 1-0.

The good work from Trantor continued a few minutes later, as Leeds Beckett livewire Dakota Chamberlain’s attack was intercepted by Trantor herself, who ran the full length of the pitch to convert the fast break by flicking the ball in for her and York’s second.

Liberty Jones and Emily Cummings both missed presentable chances in quick succession, ahead of York’s third – a fast counter with Cummings eventually slammed into the goal. Trantor had her third right at the end of the first quarter, shooting successfully on the turn. It had been one-way traffic so far; 4-0 the scoreline stood at.

Beckett’s Chamberlain used her pace to fire in her side’s first goal of the afternoon immediately after the restart, and then showed impressive agility with a nice drop of the shoulder allowing her to steal in and grab another soon after. York called a timeout – Leeds Beckett were back in this contest again, out of nowhere.

Visiting captain Hannah Al-Saidi made the affair that bit more tense when play resumed to haul her side back to now only one goal down. There was a brief stoppage in play to assess a dangerous body check and subsequent head injury to Chamberlain, but the game soon continued.

There was an altogether different type of headache soon after for Leeds Beckett though, with Cummings firing into the bottom corner to re-establish York’s two-goal advantage. Trantor made it six seconds after, exploiting some half-hearted Leeds Beckett defending. At the halfway point, York had offered more, and deserved their 6-3 lead.

As the afternoon grew colder and colder, York’s attack was only getting hotter. Three goals in as many minutes had made it 9-3 early in the third quarter. Newey had been the latest to join the scoresheet. Beckett called for a timeout.

The goal that made it 10-3 was perhaps the most patient and carefully engineered effort of that day. Numbers 63 and 67, Jones and Amy Owens respectively, were fluid in their passing, and opened up space which Jelly Baird could ghost into. She duly flicked the ball home.

A trio of quickfire goals from York put the contest beyond any doubt at the tail end of the third quarter. But the third of these was disallowed, adjudged to be a dangerous shot. And Baird paid the price as she was sent off for two minutes.

Cummings found Newey, who shot beyond Kalilani-Themuka of Leeds Beckett to make it a resounding 13-3. There were calls of encouragement and “keep fighting” between Al-Saidi and her team as the fulltime whistle… and darkness drew closer.

Al-Saidi scored herself from a free position late on, but there was no sign of a comeback here. York had been too potent, too clinical at key moments. Leeds Beckett hadn’t had the purple patches that the hosts can claim to have enjoyed.

In the final notable piece of action, Jones squared for Baird, who scored another well-worked team goal. These closing stages had been bitty, with a large number of illegal checks late on – Leeds Beckett had not been the most disciplined visitors of the year.

The fixture ended with a final score of York 14-4 Leeds Beckett. It sees York remain in second place in the six-team league, but having played a game less than all but bottom-side Lancaster. Durham 3s are the only side ahead of York, and are favourites for the league title. But promotion last season isn’t catching up with York’s Women 1s in the way it might have done.

This is a side benefitting from a complementary blend of postgraduate experience and first-year freshness. The crucial home tie with league-leaders Durham awaits for York this week.