Student News Campus News News

MyUoY app pilot paused for foreseeable future

The University has announced that the app pilot will not be continuing this academic year

Image Credit: Arian Kriesch

In an email to department representatives and those students on the pilot the MyUoY project team announced that the pilot “has been paused and will not take place this academic year”.

The check-in function of the app was immediately seen as problematic by University of York students and YUSU Sabbatical Officers alike. Problems ranged from concerns around privacy, around the security of the app, and around the notion of taking attendance in general.

A detailed account of these concerns and the University's response to them can be found here: 'MyUoY app causes University-wide concerns'

Tom O’Neill, Computer Science Department representative and outspoken critic of the app, told Nouse that he was “delighted to hear that the University had seen sense and took the feedback from students seriously” adding that he “hopes that the future work on the project will include much closer consultation with student representatives.” The Computer Science Department representative’s views were detailed in a Comment piece for Nouse which can be found here: 'Checking in should check out'.

The project will remain paused for the foreseeable future as the University states they “will continue to consult widely as we start to consider alternative approaches and platforms”. The University has stated they “appreciate all feedback” and the roles that student groups have played in the project to date.