City News News

York's first ever panto themed run hits the ground running

Last Saturday saw York's innaugral 'Great Panto Run' take place with great success

Image Credit: Annie Watson

LAST SATURDAY, YORK’S first ever Great Panto Run, organised by Run York, took place. The five-mile run began at 11:30 AM at Rawcliffe Country Park just outside the city, with the less challenging family ‘fun run’ kicking off half an hour earlier.

The run was suitable for both experienced and first-time runners. The run was not explicitly for charity, however a team from York Theatre Royal attended the event to raise money for the Berwick Kaler Foundation, which is one of the reasons the event was created.

2359

Speaking to the director of the event, she told us how the run was “to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the York Pantomime,” and that they plan to continue the event for the foreseeable future.

Races such as these are instrumental in the celebration of York’s culture and history, which is one of the main aims of the race’s organisers, who put on other York-themed races throughout the year such as a chocolate-themed race, a Viking run and a University Challenge lap race.

The director of the race also communicated how pleased she was about the turnout on the day, stating that she “was surprised so many people turned up and participated in the panto theme really well with the effort made in people’s costumes. She also emphasised how good it was to see the participation from children at the event, saying, “there’s not that many running events for kids in York,” which makes this event good for York and particularly the children.

2360

Many of the runners (pictured above) chose to participate in elaborate and fanciful costumes while running. This, alongside the muddy conditions on the day, made the runners’ job of racing all the more difficult, yet their spirits were clearly not dampened, especially with the impressive first place winner completing the five-mile race in around 25 minutes.

The race was directed at both first-time and seasoned runners, which added to the chilled and fun atmosphere of the event. For more information on other runs organised by Run York, information can be found on their social media outlets on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Images: Annie Watson

Anonymous Posted on Sunday 23 Feb 2020

Thank you for such a fantastic blog. Where else could anyone get that kind of info written in such a perfect way? I have a presentation that I am presently working on, and I have been on the look out for such information. paint companies

Anonymous Posted on Sunday 23 Feb 2020

Joshua A. Price Posted on Sunday 23 Feb 2020

It is nice to come across an article regarding one of the most controversial issues in France recently. Glad to hear someone else's accurate and informative take on this subject. Very good approach plus well-written. tow

Edward Posted on Sunday 23 Feb 2020

This run is even more fun when using a random numbers generator .

Kellie Posted on Sunday 23 Feb 2020

This is amazing. I'd love to participate in events like this. commercial roof hail damage huntsville al