York Sport Column Varsity Sport

York Sport Union announces sponsors for Varsity

With College Varsity less than two months away, this year's sponsors have been announced by York Sport Union.

Image Credit: Luke Snell

With College Varsity less than two months away on 1 March, this year’s sponsors were announced York Sport Union. Funding for the 2020 edition will come from York Parties, Scitec Nutrition and YGAM.

York Parties will be familiar to many students as the organiser of club nights and events at venues across the city, while Scitec is a company dedicated to producing nutritional products for many sports. They specialise in bodybuilding and claim to have been a “global leader in Sports Nutrition Supplements for over 20 years”.

The most intriguing of these three already established sponsors is YGAM. Founded in 2014, the Young Gamers and Gamblers Education Trust (YGAM) seeks to educate and protect young and vulnerable people from the dangers of gaming and particularly gambling. The registered charity receives its expertise and spreads its cause through a wide range of personnel, including “teachers, youth workers, community volunteers and mental health specialists.”

York Sport Union are proud to have YGAM involved, given the good work it is doing in protecting young people often of university age.

There may well be more sponsors to be confirmed in due course, York Sport say. YUSU published an elaborate poster in order to advertise for prospective sponsors to come forward.

The cheapest packages on offer are £200 and include the likes of t-shirt sponsors and bottle sponsors. At the very other end of the range is the primary venue sponsor package, which costs £1,000 (+VAT) and includes to right to include the company’s name in the title of the Spectator Lounge.

Regarding The Lounge, this year YUSU and York Sport have confirmed that the venue will become a social hub during the day, with campus media reporting from inside. The Lounge will open up as a place participants and spectators can go to buy food and drink. It will also “host darts and pool, acoustic acts and sponsors.”

Varsity itself is the annual marathon day of campus college sport. York Sport calls it “the biggest day of sport on campus this year”. Facing counterparts from Durham University, York’s college teams will compete in a variety of sports throughout the day, trying to win the tournament they lost last year.

This year’s edition will be hosted by York, with the host university alternating each year. Last year, York lost the competition despite securing its best ever points total at an away Varsity. The tournament fell into existence in 2014, replacing White Rose Varsity, which had run in previous years.

Varsity may well be bigger than ever this year, and sponsors go a long way to legitimising and financing this seven-year-old event.
2378