Netball Sport

UYNC dedicate day to charity and mental health awareness

Upcoming annual charity fundraiser promotes mental well-being and UYNC are asking you to show your support!

Image Credit: Pixabay

This years charity fundraiser, ‘Huns and Roses’, will take place at 8pm on the evening of Sunday 02 February at the Biltmore Bar and Grill in York. This year all proceeds will go to Mind Charity.

Every year, one in four of us will experience a mental health problem, but hundreds of thousands of people continue to struggle and feel as if they have no one they can reach out to. Mind rightly believes that no-one should have to face a mental health problem alone and so provides services to support, advise, and even more simply, listen, to those struggling.

Even in today’s modern world, there is a huge stigma surrounding mental health, particularly in British culture where it seems to be the norm to label someone who outwardly displays their emotions as weak. This is a fundamental societal flaw and Mind is passionately determined to work towards solving this social crisis. UYNC holds this charity very close to its heart and decided to make it their chosen charity this year because despite the stigmatisation, mental health affects everyone.

A Fundamental Facts survey published last year declared that every week one in five adults have considered taking their own life. Mind strives to reduce these shocking figures by encouraging people to take part in society equally, through improving public attitudes and offering experiences that increase self-confidence. Added to this, they recognise the importance of improving access to high quality information in order to tackle the long-standing national stigma surrounding mental health. Empathy and compassion is therefore at the forefront of the Mind campaign and UYNC hope that through raising awareness of the charity more people will join the fight to combat the mental health stereotype.

The benefits of sport and physical activity on mental health are endless, with improved mood, decreased chance of depression and anxiety, and a better, more balanced lifestyle merely a handful of a variety of positive side-effects. The government's Sporting Future strategy has mental well-being at its heart and is investing in projects across the country to increase participation in sport and activity across the ages. Any athlete reading this knows that playing sport is not just about being part of a club and competing - when you join a club, you join a family, and this is one key value that UYNC take pride in promoting.

Research also shows that physical activity provides a sense of clarity that enables rational thinking and decision making, as well as improving self-confidence. With this in mind, there seems no better way to promote a charity championing good mental health through not only an evening drinks reception, but a charity netball tournament. Throughout the day mixed teams of UYNC members and their chosen non-netball recruits will take each other on in a bid to be crowned tournament winners. Previous years have seen some very competitive performances, especially from the basketball boys, so you’ll be sure to catch some friendly on-court rivalry to keep things interesting.

There will also be a raffle to raise extra funds for this incredible charity. It need not be said that it really is the case that every donation, big or small, will prove an invaluable contribution to this cause.

Mind also have an establishment in York that works to incorporate all of the charity’s aims in local work around town. The 2020 Yorkshire 3 Peaks Hike, or Corker Bike Ride are just a couple of examples of activities that you can get involved with in and around the local area. The charity relies heavily on donations and fundraising events so be sure to visit their website at www.yorkmind.org.uk to find out how you can get involved.

Tickets cost £5 each and can be booked using the app FIXR. Please take a look at at UYNCs Instagram page: @uync_  where you will find a link to purchase tickets - everyone is welcome and we’re aiming to beat the total of over £700 raised last year so invite your friends too!

A spokesperson for for the University of York Netball Club told Nouse, "we are all so looking forward to a day dedicated to a wonderful charity and hope as many of you as possible will join us to show your support for such an important cause. A big thank you from everyone at the Club in advance."

2569