Analysis Politics News Politics

India’s Muslim population remains under threat by the Citizenship Amendment Act

The Prime Minister is under pressure to act as the death toll from protests in response the new legislation keeps rising

Image Credit: Sanjeev Yadav, DiplomatTesterMan

The world may have entered a new decade, but India has failed to put an end to protests that began in response to a new law passed in the closing weeks of 2019. Despite being first introduced in 2016, last month saw the introduction of India’s controversial Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) in parliament. Aimed at protecting minorities, it offers amnesty to non-Muslim illegal immigrants who entered India on or before the 31st December 2014 from three neighbouring countries; Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan. This amends the 64 year old citizenship law which previously prohibited all illegal immigrants from becoming citizens.

The bill passed through parliament with 125 votes to 105, despite the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government lacking enough seats to hold a majority. However, the introduction of the new law has not had a smooth transition.

Across the country, protests have broken out in response. No state has been subject to as much devastation that the reaction to these demonstrations has caused than Utter Pradesh. Home to over 40 million Muslims fear has gripped the northern state for weeks, with it being reported that 22 have been killed and 50 police officers have been injured in the process. The BBC's Vikas Pandey spoke to civilians in the area, one of whom shared with him that his 30 year old son had died after being shot in the stomach. Mohammed Raees, son of Mohammed Shareef, was not part of the protests, according to his father he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. It provides another case of a civilian fatality being caught up in the crossfire of religious tension.

Shareef confided in Pandev that the question remained in his head how being Muslim and an Indian citizen remained incompatible with one another. Yet, the BJP State Chief, Swatantra Dev Singh, maintains the position that they are not a discriminatory party, and that the Act aims to work for all castes and religions. Nonetheless, reports are confirming suspicions that the majority of those killed in protests are Muslim.

Opposers of the Act have criticised Prime Minister Modi’s motives. They argue that if he was concerned about protecting minorities within close proximity to India’s boarders, he should’ve allowed the Act to include those facing severe cases of persecution such as the Ahmadi community in Pakistan and the Rohingya in Myanmar. Instead, the government has filed a motion with the Supreme Court to deport Rohingya refugees from the country. Modi stands by his actions however, expressing that this bill is not anti-Muslim, but many are still highly concerned with the links this stance shows to Hindu nationalism.

Some officials have not been as discrete with their motives. The Chief Minister of Gujarat,Vijay Rupani, explained how Muslims have 150 different countries that can choose to reside in, but for Hindus there is only one option; India.

Economists have a different quarrel with the Prime Minister however. They claim that the CAA, while devastating to millions in its own right, is a smokescreen for domestic problems that occurred on the Prime Minister’s watch, such as a decrease in national employment and an economic downturn. They claim how the protests have actually distracted the public and the media from the problems with India’s economy.

The CAA has created widespread fear for the Indian Muslim community, but it has also redefined the concept of Indian identity while bringing decade long underlying religious tensions in the nation to the surface. According to India’s constitution, it is a secular nation that will not make religion a condition of citizenship. This new law contradicts this sentiment by excluding the Muslim community from the new amnesty, while public dissent and the right to protest to this are being called unacceptable by the government.

Despite ongoing border disputes, India has the second largest Muslim population in the world. Yet, for many this new legislation has put their home under threat. Where religion can offer hope to so many, this has proved that when it is met with hostility, it also has the power to bring despair.

14 Comments

Anonymous Posted on Sunday 23 Feb 2020

Avg antivirus is a family of antivirus software developed by avg technologies, a subsidiary of Avast.Visit avg.com/retail and enter avg retail activation code to install and activate your avg antivirus software instantly.

Anonymous Posted on Sunday 23 Feb 2020

Avg antivirus avg's brand new product for ensuring your safety and security online. It is powerful, feature rich, and has a newly designed, fresh looking interface.Visit avg.com/retail to Download, Install & Activate AVG Retail antivirus to safeguard your computer and other devices from online Trojan risk, cyber threats.

Anonymous Posted on Sunday 23 Feb 2020

Avg is a well- known name in the field of virus protection.The great thing about avg.com/retail is that whenever the suite encounters an unknown threat, avg then quickly analyze it, creates a cure and then pushes it out to millions of users, so everyone is better protected.

Anonymous Posted on Sunday 23 Feb 2020

Norton AntiVirus is an anti-virus or anti-malware software product, developed and distributed by Symantec Corporation since 1991 as part of its Norton family of computer security products.Download norton antivirus and security software from norton.com/setup to help protect your computer, tablet and smartphone against viruses, malware and other online threats.

Anonymous Posted on Sunday 23 Feb 2020

Norton antivirus provides industry-leading antivirus and security software for your PC, Mac, and mobile devices.Visit norton.com/setup and download norton antivirus and security software norton windows antivirus products offer very good malware protection and extra privacy software, but lack some basic security features.

Anonymous Posted on Sunday 23 Feb 2020

Norton antivirus software is a program that protects your computer and stops viruses, spyware, worms and Trojan horses from entering and causing harm.Visit norton.com/setup for download antivirus and security software from Norton to help protect your computer.

Anonymous Posted on Sunday 23 Feb 2020

Office set up is the systematic arrangement of positions in the office to enable office personnel to work as a team. It is the framework within which office employees work for attaining the objectives of the office.visit office.com/setup for more information.

Anonymous Posted on Sunday 23 Feb 2020

Webroot antivirus protects you from online threats with the world's most powerful cloud security solution, keeping you safe no matter how or where you connect.visit webroot.com/safe for Download Webroot antiVirus. The fastest and lightest antivirus with spyware protection.

Anonymous Posted on Sunday 23 Feb 2020

Mcafee is one of the most used antivirus solution providers, and has been in use since the first appearance of the viruses. Download mcafee from mcafee.com/activate and scans your social media pages for threats.

Anonymous Posted on Sunday 23 Feb 2020

Roku is one of the most popular streaming device which allows you to access your Tv channels, movies, music and other online content.visit roku.com/link To connect your Roku remote to your Roku device, pull back on the battery cover, aim it at the Roku, and press the button until the Roku blinks twice.

Anonymous Posted on Sunday 23 Feb 2020

Hulu is a subscription video on demand service fully controlled and majority-owned by Walt Disney Direct-to-Consumer & International, a business segment of The Walt Disney Company, with NBCUniversal, owned by Comcast, as an equity stakeholder.visit hulu.com/activate for activate hulu.

Anonymous Posted on Sunday 23 Feb 2020

Roku is the best free remote control unit for Roku Streaming Player and Roku tv.Click roku.com/link and activate roku. You can add the YouTube TV app to your Roku device in a few simple steps, but you'll need to pay a monthly subscription to use the service.

Anonymous Posted on Sunday 23 Feb 2020

Hulu is a premium streaming service that offers up some of the latest and greatest tv, movies and more.Visit hulu.com/activate and log in if prompted. Enter the unique activation code that is displayed on your TV screen and within 30 seconds or so you should be logged in.

Anonymous Posted on Sunday 23 Feb 2020

McAfee is one of the most used antivirus solution providers, and has been in use since the first appearance of the viruses.Install mcafee.com/activate in your computer with high class professionals and best tech team. Just ring us and we are ready to assist you till the last minute of installation.