Arts Arts Editor Upcoming Arts Events Muse

The Month Ahead: January 2020

Muse's Arts Editor Jenna Luxon runs through York's top events for the coming month

Image Credit: Hugo Glendinning, 2016

YorkTalks 2020
Wednesday 8th January in Ron Cooke Hub Building on Campus East
YorkTalks is organised in to four sessions and a Q&A, each session is made of a series of 15-minute talks covering a range of research topics from ‘The Carbon Dioxide Refinery: turning the challenge of climate change into a solution’ to ‘Challenging the Face Race: creating a new emotional framework for face transplants’. You can pick and choose which sessions you want to attend and no previous knowledge of the subject is needed for any of the talks. This is a great opportunity to hear lecturers from your department discuss their research or to learn something new about a topic you may have never even studied before. (Free and open to everyone, see timetable for talks at https://www.york.ac.uk/research/events/yorktalks/)

York New Year Book Fair
Saturday 11th January at York Racecourse
The UK’s largest one-day book fair with over 100 booksellers from across the country selling 40,000+ antiquarian, rare and second-hand books on every subject you can think of. A free shuttle bus will be running all day from York Memorial Gardens to the Racecourse. (£1 admission fee, for more info see website here https://www.pbfa.org/fairs/york-1)

Think Equal through A Multilingual Experience
Monday 13th January at 7pm in The Norman Rea Gallery, Campus West
As a response to the recent case of sexual violence across the globe, this event is collaborating with a wide range of University of York networks and societies to raise money for the charity Think Equal. This will be an evening of performances from singers, musicians, poets and speakers, with art works also being displayed. (Admission is a donation of £5 to the Think Equal charity)

York Residents Festival 2020
Saturday 25th to Sunday 26th January at venues across the city
Now in its 25th year, the York Residents Festival is held to thank the people of York for welcoming tourists to their city throughout the year.  The festival is open to all York residents and York students who have a valid YorkCard or student ID. The Festival gives you the chance to explore behind the scene at some of York’s most popular venues some of which are not usually open to the public and to get in to the city’s greatest tourist attractions for free as well as enjoying some great dining and retail offers. Full list of attractions and discounts available here https://www.visityork.org/whats-on/residents-festival

Research at Tate Modern
Monday 27th January at 4:30pm in the Bowland Auditorium
Director of the Tate Modern Frances Morris will be coming to York to give a talk as part of the York Public Lecture Series. Her talk will cover the curatorial and art historical research that has allowed for the growth of the Tate’s International Collection over the last decade. Free admission although booking is required see website here https://www.york.ac.uk/news-and-events/events/public-lectures/spring-2020/tate-modern/

Virtually Real – Preview Night
Monday 27th January at 7pm in The Norman Rea Gallery, Campus West
the preview night for the Norman Rea Gallery’s new exhibition exploring the digital world through art. This exhibition will force you to interact with the digital works and question the role art has to play in our increasingly digital society. This exhibition will be open from this night until 10th February 2020.

Anne Frank: Parallel Stories
Tuesday 28th January at 6:15pm at the Everyman Cinema
The Everyman cinema in York will be screening ‘Anne Frank: Parallel Stories’ for one night in January. Helen Mirren tells the story of Anne Frank’s life through the pages of her world-famous diary, entwining Anne’s story with the stories of five holocaust survivors.