Student News Campus News News

York research: LGBT+ grads welcome inclusivity schemes

The research could help guide how companies shape these practises in the future.

Image Credit: Ludovic Bertron

More than half of LGBT+ graduates value inclusivity programmes in their workplace, research by the University of York Department of Equality and Diversity has shown. The research polled over 4 000 students across the UK on how popular wellbeing programmes were, and found that they were a major factor amongst both graduates and students in deciding where they went for work.

The study found that over half of LGBT+ students and graduates thought that internal support networks were the most effective way to “create a healthy and happy workplace.” Furthermore, almost 40 per cent of those who shared their gender and sexuality with everyone felt that their wellbeing was improved.

This was the largest piece of research conducted by employers on the specific wellbeing needs of LGBT+ graduates, and clearly shows the utility of implementing such programmes in the workplace. It also presents a challenge to employers, many of whom do not have support networks in place at all.

Just this year, real estate advisory corporation JLL became the first ever firm of its kind to be included in Stonewall’s Top 100 Employers list for 2019, while London property giants, Allsop, have become the first firm to sponsor a cross-firm network for LGBT+ employees of the property industry. The Stonewall list is currently led by law firms, with Pinsent Masons, and Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner taking the two top spots. It is expected that more firms will further develop programmes following the success of the current companies.

Nouse contacted the University for a comment. Maria Ayaz, the head of Equality and Diversity at the University of York told us that: “The research shows the importance of having the right support services in place to ensure students and graduates feel included and a part of the environment they choose to study or work. There is an opportunity for collaboration between universities and employers to provide better guidance for LGBT+ students when making career choices.”

She further stated that: “The research shows the importance of having the right support services in place to ensure students and graduates feel included and a part of the environment they choose to study or work.”