Arts Upcoming Arts Events Muse

The Month Ahead: November 2019

Muse's Arts Editor runs through York's top events for the coming month

Image Credit: Public Domain

Northern Craft Fair – York
2nd November at the De Grey Rooms
This will the first year that Northern Craft have hosted a fair in York. As well as workshops, there will be 40+ tables featuring a range of handmade crafts at a range of prices – a great opportunity to get some early Christmas shopping in! (Free entry)

Reasons to Stay Alive
5th - 9th November at the York Theatre Royal
Based on Matt Haig’s bestselling memoir of the same name, this emotional yet uplifting play follows then 24-year-old Matt through his experience with depression, and how he coped with the mental illness that almost destroyed him (Tickets from £15)

Aesthetica Short Film Festival
6th – 10th November at various venues across the city
An international film festival held in York each year, celebrating independent film from around the world and championing filmmakers. Over 400 films will be screened across the four days of the festival. There are a range of ticket options available from day tickets to single screenings. For more information look on the website at https://www.asff.co.uk/

The Woman in Black
12th – 16th November at the York Theatre Royal
Following its record-breaking run-on London’s West End, The Woman in Black comes to York as part of its major UK tour. Based on Susan Hill’s acclaimed ghost story, this play follows a lawyer’s obsession with a curse he believes to have been cast over him and his family by the ‘Woman in Black’. (Tickets from £15)

From Oneliness to the Loneliness Pill: The History of a Modern Epidemic
13th November at the Merchant Adventurers’’ Hall
Dr Fay Bound Alberti’s new book A Biography of Loneliness: The History of an Emotion will be launched at this event, where she will be talking about the social and individual meanings of loneliness in society today and its history since the 18th century. This event is part of the University of York open lecture series. (Free entry, but requires booking)

Miracle on 34th Street
13th – 17th November at the Joseph Rowntree Theatre
Based on the classic Christmas film of the same name, this stage version follows the same story line as the film with the addition of some amazing songs. Guaranteed to get you in to the Christmas spirit! (Tickets £13 - £18)

York Record and Book Fair
16th November at The Crescent
Around 20 tables selling an eclectic mix of vinyl records and second-hand books – perfect way to spend your Saturday avoiding uni work. (Free entry)

Emilie Pine: Notes to Self
21st November, Bowland Auditorium, Berrick Saul Building
Coming to York to talk about her collection of personal essays Notes to Self, Emilie Pine’s talk is the one I'm personally most looking forward to this month. There’s still plenty of time to get reading her book beforehand (I’m currently half way through and really enjoying it) or come along to this free talk to hear about it and have the opportunity to pick up a copy and get it singed by Emilie after the talk. (Free entry, booking not required)

The Chimera Ensemble
22nd November at the Sir Jack Lyons Concert Hall
The first concert of the year for the student-run contemporary music ensemble. Dedicated in memory of former Chair of Chimera and graduate of the music department Ben Clark, this performance explores expression of light, colour and darkness. (Tickets £6 or £3 for students)

Comedy Society Freshers’ Sketch how
27th November in V/N/045
One of the society’s biggest events of the term, the Fresher’s Sketch Show is always a great night. Head down with a few mates (and grab a drink from V-Bar first of course) before watching some freshly grown York student comedy.