Food & Drink Muse

Spooky specials to devilishly devour

Sasha Baker walks you through all the best Halloween specials York has to offer

Image Credit: Goji Cafe

With Halloween just around the corner, it’s the perfect time to test your taste buds with delectable Halloween flavours: from a spider mallow shortcake to spookily twisted cocktails. Thematic food and drink can add variety, nostalgia and excitement to our diets. To assist your craving for a taste of Halloween, or even just a warm autumnal feel, here are a variety of establishments that have altered or specialised their menus for you to enjoy.

1. Costa @costacoffee
With four stores in the city centre alone, there is no excuse not to try at least one of this classic cafe chain’s new creations for Halloween 2019. Decorated biscuits of mummies and spiders usher in the joys of Halloween celebrations in the form of these sweet treats.To accompany the dessert, Costa are offering a Bonfire Spiced Latte that presents a more traditional reminder of the holiday.

2. Revolution @revolutionyork_
Teaming up with Bacardi, Revolution have amped up this year’s Halloween, with exotic twists and new cocktail mixes to tingle your taste buds. From their recently re-leased ‘sneak peek’ article, cocktails such as the Choccy Horror Freak Shake, Poison Apple Frappe, Spooky Juice and p-IT-cher show just how horrifyingly mouth-watering their specials are going to be.

3. Goji Café @goji.cafe
Goji Café is an independently run vegetarian café and deli, producing wholesome, appetising and nutritious foods whether on the go or for a relaxing lunch. On their menu they have the spiced apple cake, which is served with caramel sauce and ice-cream; inviting enough for anyone to try. Although not explicitly a Halloween special, the autumnal flavours have earnt Goji its place on this list.You can find this cute cafe over on Goodramgate.

4. The Rattle Owl @therattleowl
An independent restaurant with flair and elegance produced through its meals,The Rattle Owl has an exciting autumn menu coming up. On 24 October, they held a Gin Pairing Evening with Sloemotion, to introduce their new autumnal dishes and cocktails. For example, their autumn mains feature dishes likes seasonal sweet-corn risotto and black bream with fennel jam. You can find The Rattle Owl on Micklegate.

5. Bills
Bills have excitingly launched their new autumn menu, with a keen desire to highlight their vegetarian and vegan meal options. Just a couple of examples from their exceptionally flavourful menu are: the roasted butternut squash and feta risotto with baby spinach and courgette, topped with shredded fennel salad and toasted pumpkin seeds, and the spiced pear and raspberry eton mess. Bills have successfully produced tantalising tastes that should not be missed out on this autumn, with the inclusion of pumpkin seeds to add a hint of Halloween flavour.

6. Mr P’s Curious Tavern @mrpscurioustavern
Using imaginatively created dishes cooked by Michelin-trained chefs, pub traditions have been transformed in Mr P’s Curious Tavern’s Late Autumn Dinner event to pleasure anyone’s palette with new combinations; perfected to produce a five course tasting menu perfect for any autumn evening. The event contains perhaps more niche constructions, such as the caramelised rice pudding with Ampleforth apple brandy and the BoozyPrunes & BakedCats’ Tongues :something worth experimenting to truly experience Halloween through taste on Wednesday 6 November.

7. Las Iguanas @lasiguanas
Due to the LatinAmerican theme of this restaurant, Las Iguanas have instead likened their menu to the Mexican Day of the Dead event. To celebrate this Mexican holiday, new cocktails have been released. The Agave Fields and Smoky Margarita bring vibrance and colour to your drinks to ensure true celebration this October. They’ve also added some new editions to their tapas menu, such as their Winter Ceviche