Fashion Fashion Editor Fashion Features Muse

Second-Hand City: A Thrifting Guide to York

Eilidh Hide helps you uncover York's hidden gems with her guide to second-hand shopping.

Image Credit: Dustin Quasar

With ‘Climate-Change’ at the forefront of everyone's minds and summer budgets a distant memory, students are increasingly shunning fast-fashion in favour of second-hand. So, whether you're new to York or new to vintage, here’s a helping-hand.

Charity Shops
Where to go: The Charity Shops along Walmgate and the MS charity shop at the Hull Road junction all have lovely staff who will help you uncover some hidden treasures.
How to:
Visit regularly- When something good comes in it usually goes just as quickly so make sure you're visiting regularly to snap up any gems.
Get to know the staff- The volunteers know exactly when comes in and what leaves so if you build a good relationship with them, they can point you in the direction of anything they think you might like.
Shop Unisex- Not only are baggie hoodies and oversized check shirts infinitely more comfortable than tight t-shirts but Try it On- It might seem self-explanatory though it can be tempting to avoid the grimy-shower-curtain-esque changing rooms but it’s worth it. Given the lack of a returns policy, it’s worth making the effort- no-one wants an unworn New Look skirt lingering in the wardrobe for years.

Vintage:
Where to go: Chinese Laundry, Expressions, Headlock Vintage (Spark), Dog & Bone Vintage, Bowler Vintage Clothing
How to:
BargainBins- Look out for Discounted Items, Chinese Laundry has a great £5 bargain bin with everything from shell-jackets to shift dresses- so don’t be scared to have a rummage.
Get creative- be prepared to alter and repair items to fit your personal style. Even something as simple as the poor styling in a charity shop
Look beyond the labels- given the recent surge in people looking for vintage ‘garms’, there’s a real premium on labels. So, widen your horizons and venture away from the navy-blue vintage ‘ralphie’ to get more for your money.
Don’t bother with shoes- It’s really rare to find a decent pair of used shoes second-hand, let alone any that you’d actually want, so save that for your online browsing.

Online:
Where to go: Depop, eBay, ASOS Marketplace, Beyond Retro, Rokit
How to: Tailor your searches- Add ‘vintage’ to your search to bar if you’re looking for higher quality, unique pieces.
Don’t use the filters- this might seem counterintuitive but very few sellers categorize their products properly which means you might miss out on your new jacket.
Keep Searching-It takes commitment but have a thorough scour if you want to find a true diamond in the rough as many sites have a lot of dull stock.
Search for specific items- On a similar note, it’s worth looking up the exact make, size and colour you want before searching on a selling platform as it will save you filtering through hundreds of ‘not-quite-right’ Hilfiger Hoodies.
Take inspiration from others- It’s Depop specific but check out the ‘likes’ page of your friends and favourite influencers, it’s a great way of discovering new sellers and getting inspiration.

Anonymous Posted on Tuesday 31 Mar 2020

What a great guide for second hand shopping. Hvac Manuals

Anonymous Posted on Tuesday 31 Mar 2020

Most definitely! Great info about the experience, thanks! demolition companies

ShaneWu Posted on Tuesday 31 Mar 2020

I remember my friend's stories that she could not find clothes that would fit her anywhere. Very sensitive skin. And high-quality clothing is a very big and underestimated problem of people. I also managed to find a website https://alimart.ae/where you can buy good quality clothes at an affordable price. since then, I regularly place orders there. and it's nice that there is a large range. after all, you need to take care of your health and choose good stores. And it will be a plus for brands if they worry about the quality they sell

Anonymous Posted on Tuesday 31 Mar 2020

You can find some absolute GEMS in thrift shops, it's always worth having a peek! scaffolder kent