Arts Music Music Editor Arts Editor Upcoming Arts Events Muse

The Month Ahead: October 2019

Muse's Arts and Music Editors run through York's top events for the coming month

Image Credit: Phoenix Dance Theatre, Tristram Kenton

Savage Mansion, Bonneville & The Bailers + Perspex
1st October at the Crescent
Glasgow based slacker Savage Mansion brings a brand of fuzzy pop, accompanied by a constantly evolving band of musicians from across the scene.

KAWALA
8th October at The Basement
KAWALA play cuddly, poppy indie with a little tropical lilt to it. Worth checking out at an intimate venue before they hit the Radio 1 playlist and fall into the alternate universe of arena stardom.

Charly Cox
9th October at The Basement
Writer, producer and poet Charly Cox’s writing focuses on destigmatizing mental health and that coming of age of young women surviving the modern world. Her first book ‘She Must Be Mad’ is now being followed by her second poetry collection ‘Validate Me’ explored how the digital age is affecting or relationships, concentration span and mental health. (Tickets £6 in advance and £7 on the door)

Shakespeare’s Rivals
9th – 10th October in TFTV/041, Campus East
Shakespeare’s popularity on the modern stage has largely overshadowed the work of his peers – Jonson, Webster, Middleton, Fletcher and many others. Professor Michael Cordner, with a company of ten student actors, will explore some of the highlights of this repertoire, in a combination of lecture and fully staged performance. (Free Admission, booking required)

Snapped Ankles
11th October at The Crescent
Following the release of their second album this year, the painfully named London outfit will be on form and full of energy with their unique brand of post-punk.

This Life: Why Mortality Makes Us Free
17th October at Bowland Auditorium, Campus West
This open lecture is part of Professor Martin Hägglund’s UK tour for his Book This Life: Why Mortality Makes Us Free which offers a new secular vision for how we should lead our lies in the twenty-first century and beyond ranging from fundamental existential question to the most pressing social issues of our time. (Free admission, booking required)

Phoenix Dance Theatre
18th – 19th October at York Theatre Royal
Phoenix Dance Theatre will be performing two pieces: the iconic ballet The Rite of Spring re-imagined by Haitian contemporary and folklore choreographer Jeanguy Saintus and Left Unseen which explores inclusion and isolation and how we rely on or fie sense to find our place and navigate the world. (£15 tickets available with the code ‘35LIVE’ for those aged 18-35)

Adults Night Pottery Painting
*25th October at Rainbow Ceramics *
Arrive any time from 6pm onwards to de-stress and let your creative side out by enjoying an evening of pottery painting. (Book in advance, £4 entry + the cost of whatever you paint)

Art& Show
25th to 27th October at York Racecourse
Three-day art festival with more than 120 artists exhibiting and selling their work. As well as having the opportunity to buy art and to talk to the designers, there will also be installations, workshops and art demonstrations running across the weekend. (£5.50 for a day ticket or £10 for all three days with your student card)

Dungeon Adult Lates 18+
26th October & 31st October at York Dungeons
On selected nights throughout the year the York Dungeons reopens at 8pm for 18+. With more scares and riskier jokes, you’ll experience eleven live shows. Tickets include two free drinks inside the dungeon and free entry to Kuda after the show. These events are really popular, so book in advance to secure a place and save £5 on your ticket. (£20 if booked/ £25 on the door)

LIFE + Faux Pas
29th October at The Fulford Arms
Head to the Fulford Arms to see some angsty post-punk from LIFE, and fiery alt-pop from Faux Pas.

SCALPING
30th October at The Crescent
This Bristol act is at the crossover in the venn diagram between techno and punk - a meeting of genres which could only really come to life in Bristol. The show is accompanied with a visual show, so get yourself down if you fancy having your senses pummelled every which way.

jadoooo Posted on Saturday 16 Nov 2019

hello
[url=https://hellllo.de/]hello[/url]

Jacks Posted on Saturday 16 Nov 2019

google