City News News

Princess Beatrice of York engaged to property tycoon

Speculation is already rife about the location for the wedding.

Image Credit: Princess Eugenie

Princess Beatrice has announced her engagement to property tycoon Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi. Princess Beatrice, is the queen’s granddaughter, and the eldest daughter of Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson, the Duke and Duchess of York. She is currently ninth in line to the throne.

While the couple have known each other for many years, they apparently reconnected at the wedding of Beatrice’s sister’s Eugenie’s wedding to Jack Brooksbank in 2018. This then lead the couple on what has been described by some pundits as a ‘whirlwind romance’ over the past year. The current Duke and Duchess of York commented that they had watched the relationship of their daughter develop with pride. "We are the lucky parents of a wonderful daughter who has found her love and companion in a completely devoted friend and loyal young man. We send them every good wish for a wonderful family future."

Mr Mapelli Mozzo is descended from a line of Italian aristocracy. His father, Count Alessandro Mapelli Mozzi, was a keen skier, and competed for Britain in the 1972 Olympics. Although the pair have known each other for many years, their relationship has been largely private. They are rarely seen in public together.

It has been speculated that the marriage has been timed in order to draw attention away from the current Duke of York, Prince Andrew, who is currently under intense media scrutiny following his relationship with now-deceased billionaire and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. The palace has refused to comment on this.

According to an official statement from Buckingham Palace, the pair had become “engaged while away in Italy earlier this month. The wedding will take place next year, in 2020.”

The wedding will be hotly anticipated by York residents, especially following the wedding of Ellie Goulding that took place in the Minster earlier this month, which included a collection of famous names from Ed Sheeran to Rita Ora. Princess Beatrice's wedding will be the fourth recent years, preceded first by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Beatrice’s sister Eugenie’s in 2018, and Lady Gabriella Windsor’s marriage to Tom Kingston in 2019.