Campus News News

Heslington West Nisa installs self-checkout machines

An end to large queues?

Image Credit: Patrick Walker

The Nisa outlet in the centre of Heslington West returned to service this week after refurbishment over the summer. The new store boasts extra products, new self-service checkouts, and will have revised opening hours: it is intended to stay open 24-hours a day during the first fortnight of term.

It is hoped that the self-checkout machines: so-called ‘SCOs’, will mitigate the large queues at peak hours: a problem that has plagued the campus Nisa outlet for years. In an interview with ConvenienceStore.co.uk, Retail Manager Adam Viney said that “the queues in the shop get very big, and as a result we were getting a lot of dumped stock with students unwilling to wait. The installation of four SCOs will ease the queues and at the same time keep aisles clear.”

For now, the machines only work with domestic credit and debit cards, but it is assumed that they might function with the use of cash at a later date.

The four new machines aren’t the only new addition to the store. Nisa has reportedly increased its range of products to include 300 popular Co-Op own brand items, as well as an extra set of frozen food selections, and a F’real milkshake machine.

The new store is a little more cramped considering the added capacity, but without the queues, Nisa has done a roaring trade: sales are up 5% compared to the same week of the previous year.

The tills were apparently crucial in saving valuable staff time, and enabling the Nisa to stay open for 24 hours a day during the first two weeks of term. Adam Viney concluded: “the new tills will allow us to open for extra hours with the 24-hour opening” … “We knew there was work to do on the Market Square store and so we have worked on getting the range right as well as the flow of the shop.”