Gaming News Muse

Esports coach 'Turkinator' wanted for prosecution in York

Aykut Baskal is being sought following allegations of fraud and computer misuse

Image Credit: North Yorkshire Police

The manager and coach of a Turkish professional League of Legends team is wanted by Yorkshire police following crimes as far back as 2014, a spokesperson for the force announced yesterday, in a statement on their website.

Aykut Baskal, 23, is known online as ‘Turkinator’. He is wanted for a series of offences of Fraud, committed from January 2014 to December 2015, before his time as a professional coach began in late 2017.

He is now also wanted for his failure to appear at York Crown Court following a scheduled case on 18 August 2017, as well as a charge of Computer Misuse, committed while he was attached to the Professional League of Legends organisation Macro Maniacs.

The Computer Misuse Act was introduced in 1990, and includes a wide array of possible offences: hacking, unauthorised access to computers and their systems, and purposefully spreading malicious software, like viruses.

Officers for the Yorkshire police currently “believe that Baskal is in Turkey” although they report that he has reported links both to Newcastle and York. Police have issued a request for information about his whereabouts. Baskal is also being asked to hand himself in.

The news comes as his team, 1907 Fenerbahçe Esports, fail to qualify for the League of Legends World Championships. Fenerbahçe is currently based in Istanbul, Turkey, and compete in an exclusively Turkish league. Despite a historically dominant performance on their home turf, Fenerbahçe failed to pick up new players this year, and have had a rocky season. They finished the split in last place: a bad result for Turkinator, who was brought on as a coach and manager at the beginning of this year.

Riot Games, who own and operate the league in Turkey, have yet to comment on Baskal’s record. It is typical for owners or coaches involved in criminal activity to be punished by the league, although the company’s main focus is presumably elsewhere due to the logistical demands of organising the World Championship, which starts next month.

*Anyone with any information about Baskal’s whereabouts is asked to contact Sergeant Gavin Mayes of the North Yorkshire Police Cybercrime Unit. *

From the UK, call 101 and ask for North Yorkshire Police. From Turkey, dial 00 44 1904 618691. Alternatively, email gavin.mayes@northyorkshire.pnn.police.uk.

Anonymous Posted on Saturday 16 Nov 2019

what a gamer

Gamer Posted on Saturday 16 Nov 2019

More oppression against gamers smh