City News News

York's annual Food Festival begins this weekend

Parliament Street erupts with various stalls of food and drink for York's Food and Drink Festival

Image Credit: Matthew King

The annual York Food and Drink Festival has hit the streets this weekend, offering a range of food and drink stalls, served up with some free local entertainment and demonstrations.

The festival began yesterday, 20 September, and will run until 29 September. Throughout the course of the nine days, the city centre will be filled with vibrant stalls that offer everything from sausage rolls to wine.

Demonstrations by chefs and local eateries will also take place throughout the course of the festival, details of which can be found on the festival’s website.

The main action of the festival is taking place on Parliament Street, Saint Sampson’s Square and Shambles market, with other special events, such as food-themed tours and workshops happening across the city.

A marquee has also been set up at the end of Parliament street, which is the location for Mindfest, that will feature live performances by local acts for the duration of the festival. Mindfest is raising money for York Mind, a charity that aims to provide high quality mental health services within York. The University of York, alongside PCMIS, has sponsored the charity and event, allowing them to produce and pass out free badges and coasters at the festival.

The festival market is open from 10am to 5pm, with demonstrations happening from 12 noon until 5pm. There is also a mixture of vegetarian and vegan food on offer at most stalls within the festival market.

All the information regarding the event can be found on the festival’s website: www.yorkfoodfestival.com.